Tag Archives: Design

Polymer Project: Day 2

April 8th

Creating Our Own Polymer

After testing for another class session, we have decided, to make a cup holder polymer. In our minds right now, this cup holder polymer is used to help people when they are on transportation. For example, if they are on the car, they can place their bottle on the polymer. I think we already have our polymer completed and ready to go but we might need to re-make the polymer one more time just to make sure we have the right materials and their amounts. Our first goal was to make something similar to blue-tag, but when we were trying to make the blue-tag, we somehow made another polymer. Which is also the one we decided to use because we thought it was actually pretty cool. Below are some photos we took of our polymer.

 

IMG_0525

IMG_0524

Polymer Project: Day 1

March 30th

Creating Our Own Polymer

 

Could you believe it? My team has been hired by the Inventions and Innovations Company “Dream On” to design a polymer product that will have a real-world impact! Today we were split into groups of two and each group had to create their own special polymer. Except the problem for Matthew and me was, what are we going to make? This question got us thinking; we currently don’t actually have any ideas yet so we decided to research a little bit. After quite a while, we decided we wanted to make a polymer that could stick things together, almost like a blue tag. This polymer will help stick something to another thing, for example if you want to put a poster up on the wall, you can use this polymer to help you. We would have many different colors of the polymer we are creating because different people will use it for different things, and some people might like this color, and some people might like the other color. We have our idea ready, but how are we going to make it able to stick with other things? We actually had no idea so Matthew and I decided to do different tests. We got our lab coats and got to work. Matthew got a little of everything because we weren’t very sure what was needed. After adding some glue, borax, liquid starch, and some cornstarch, we created something very weird. I think we might have added too much glue because it was very sticky and disgusting. Before we could try again, time flew by too fast, class already ended. For day 1, we only got one trial done and it didn’t really work out. I think this polymer we are trying to make is a little difficult, if we still cannot get it next time, we might have to find another idea.

scientist_4301

Here is where I found my image.