browser icon
You are using an insecure version of your web browser. Please update your browser!
Using an outdated browser makes your computer unsafe. For a safer, faster, more enjoyable user experience, please update your browser today or try a newer browser.

Art Composition Project Reflection

Posted by on August 27, 2015

IMG_0565

 

The steps that I take to make my composite drawing are as the follows. I first visualize what I am going to draw, by combining the teacher’s criteria with my own ideas. I learned from looking at other student’s drawings online that in order to be successful at this project, I have to have a variety of shapes and sizes, overlapping drawings, and a bright colored background. These rules plus the teacher’s criteria combined together makes this beautiful drawing. (I think so!) After visualizing, I go straight to drawing using a black pen. If I want thicker parts I use a sharpie. I started with the smaller objects in front, with a thin black pen. I try to choose a variety of shapes, for example the sharp pin and the round hat. After finishing the smaller objects in front, I move to the bigger objects in the back, the leaves. Without the leaves my drawing looks very empty, there is a lot of space between the small objects. I thought I needed something that takes up a lot of space without covering up my other drawings, and that’s why I drew the big leaves in the background. After finishing my drawings, I colored the background with acrylic paint. I choose green because it is a bright and matches with the leaves. I had to find out the hard way that the green paint was very thin and does not fully cover up the white paper. Ms. Z suggested me to add some white paint to my green to make it thicker. And that’s what I did. I started by coloring the outline first, then it would be less trouble later coloring the rest of the negative space.

After this project I learned that you could always fix up your mistakes. When I drew the captain’s hat, I messed up the sidelines and accidentally drew them too shallow. I was going to change it to some wires but Evan suggested me to keep going with it. He said he could not tell the mistake just looking at the drawing. I continued with it and changed the mistake lines into some cross-hatching. The hat drawing turned out to be better than I thought, thanks to Evan Sim.

The most challenging part of this project was the cross-hatchings. My cross-hatching always made the shape look 2D. An example is the pin. Later I learned that you have to make the crosshatches parallel to the sides of the shape, and I tried it on my leaves, which made it look much better.

I especially enjoyed the coloring part of this project. I liked how adding white to a thin green can completely change the property of the paint. This project reminded me of Andy Warhol’s paintings with weird bright colors. Because we are painting the negative space instead of the positive space, as we usually do.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *