Everything has a specialty and sometimes you don’t notice it’s special feature. During our Polymer Project, Arnold, Ashley and I worked hard on finding a perfect phone grip. We went through many learning processes and had to alter our plans a lot. However, in the end, we were able to find a suitable polymer.
After defining our ideas for what we would want our polymer to be, we came up with a plan. We planned to make at least one prototype polymer per class and at the very end have a vote. However, this plan was demolished when we accidentally created Prototype Baby and forgot to write down the materials we used. In the beginning, Prototype Baby didn’t seem like it was suitable, but after testing it, we noticed that it was almost perfect for our goal. For the next few classes, we tried to recreate it. This was a huge part of developing solutions for our engineering design cycle. It also reached into optimising prototypes part, since we kept on tweaking the ratios of lab ingredients used. In the end, we were unable to recall what ratios we used for Prototype Baby and ended up using Prototype Baby Recreation #1, which was closest to Prototype Baby.
We made many mistakes and our experiments weren’t the best so there are many improvements we can make. Next time when we are creating a polymer, we will not add random ratios of ingredients but instead write it down, even if we don’t think we will use it. This has taught me to not go off track and not be careless because you never know when you might get a suitable result, just like what happened with Prototype Baby. Also, this project has taught me that you should be flexible with you plans because anything can go off track. If you were to be stubborn, sometimes the plan just won’t work, so you have to find another solution.
After presenting our final product to the Dream On team we learned a few lessons. First of all, it is good to have a script written, that way you don’t have to improve when you are presenting your end product. Scripts can help you look more prepared and formal, which sometimes can impact a presentation a lot. Second, we should have more selections, such as the polymer dyed with different colors. Sometimes small details like this can be very eye catching. Lastly, we should have had a few set examples, such as phones coated with the polymer. That way we can easily prove our point and not stress over remolding the polymers back onto the phone.
Over all, this project was a huge participation in my learning for engineering projects. It helped me learn a lot about group work and how to cope with others better. I also learned a lot about how careful you have to be when you are adjusting products and improving them. My improving skills also got better in the learning process.