Through a tough process, we finally created our end product – The Impeccable Glue. To reach this, we had to first brainstorm what we wanted our product to do and it’s characteristics. When we were first designing our polymer, we decided that the end product should be moldable, a bit sticky and harden overnight. We all received a sheet of paper, with the information about all the different characteristics each material contributes. I had picked corn starch because I wanted something less watery. I picked PVA solution because I wanted something sticky. Another thing I chose was liquid starch to add a little bit of liquids to the prototype. The last thing I chose was guar gum, to add a bit of elasticity to the polymer. When I was making all of the different prototypes, I realized that making a polymer with all of those characteristics was hard. I had tried a few different prototypes and had then turn out too slimy, too sticky, too bouncy. Sometimes it would be perfect; however, overnight it would harden and break.
While making the different prototypes, I learnt what ratio of ingredients I would need in order to make the polymer a certain way. I learned that too much liquid starch causes a much slimier polymer, so you need to add more PVA solution and around the same amount of corn starch to create a sticky moldable polymer. I also discovered that when making the guar gum, the water and guar gum just weren’t mixing properly so it didn’t mix in well with the polymer. So instead we would add dry guar gum straight to our polymer. It mixed way better and worked really well.
On presentation day, I learned that most polymers won’t turn out how you want them to. Sometimes something unexpected will happen and surprise you. Also you can’t always have all the characteristics you want in a polymer, sometimes you have to compromise. But overall, the experience was great and our polymer ended up doing what it was supposed to.