Through a tough process, we finally created our end product – The Impeccable Glue. To reach this, we had to first brainstorm what we wanted our product to do and it’s characteristics. When we were first designing our polymer, we decided that the end product should be moldable, a bit sticky and harden overnight. We all received a sheet of paper, with the information about all the different characteristics each material contributes. I had picked corn starch because I wanted something less watery. I picked PVA solution because I wanted something sticky. Another thing I chose was liquid starch to add a little bit of liquids to the prototype. The last thing I chose was guar gum, to add a bit of elasticity to the polymer. When I was making all of the different prototypes, I realized that making a polymer with all of those characteristics was hard. I had tried a few different prototypes and had then turn out too slimy, too sticky, too bouncy. Sometimes it would be perfect; however, overnight it would harden and break.
While making the different prototypes, I learnt what ratio of ingredients I would need in order to make the polymer a certain way. I learned that too much liquid starch causes a much slimier polymer, so you need to add more PVA solution and around the same amount of corn starch to create a sticky moldable polymer. I also discovered that when making the guar gum, the water and guar gum just weren’t mixing properly so it didn’t mix in well with the polymer. So instead we would add dry guar gum straight to our polymer. It mixed way better and worked really well.
On presentation day, I learned that most polymers won’t turn out how you want them to. Sometimes something unexpected will happen and surprise you. Also you can’t always have all the characteristics you want in a polymer, sometimes you have to compromise. But overall, the experience was great and our polymer ended up doing what it was supposed to.
With the final adjustments of the polymer, it is beginning to work well with our design goal. Getting to the point of the finished project was harder than expected, lots of surprises came along the way.
My first prototype was a absolute failure. The turnout was a green clear liquid that was like jelly. On the inside, there were clumps of corn starch and guar gum. On the outside, everything was very runny. Making this prototype, I first added 15 mL of liquid starch into a small cup. After that i added four drops of green food dye. Once mixed all the way through I added seven mL of PVA and then 3 grams of cornstarch. After I mixed it all together, I soon came to the conclusion that my liquid starch to PVA solution and cornstarch was completely off. I know that because when I added in the PVA, the jello wasn’t forming properly, and it ended up as much more liquid. I had also added them in the wrong order causing the clumps to form. The result was a super slimy, not very sticky, jelly substance. The results for the blob and hang test were what I was hoping for, they lasted a very long time and stayed molded. However with the bounce test, it bounced up approx. two inches off the table.
After tweaking the procedure, my second prototype was a success. This time I first added 5mL of liquid starch, then only three drops of food coloring all in a plastic cup. After that I added 10mL of PVA solution followed by 1.7 grams of cornstarch. Before I added the guar gum, the polymer was very sticky and stringy. It wasn’t the texture I was hoping for; however, after the guar gum was added, it became much more elastic. It still contained its stickiness, but it was less extreme and easily molded. With the tests, the polymer had no bounce at all, took 47 seconds in the hang test, and 1 minute and 21 seconds in the blob test. To test it out, I stuck it onto a metal water bottle, and it stayed molded without dripping for five minutes before we had to take it off
image from here
Hello, my name is Elias Smith; I’m a 14-year-old young man from 17th century America. Born into a family of British colonists, we migrated to a new country to begin a new life. Currently in Boston, there is a revolution occurring around me. As a young man living through a revolution, my life is pretty great so far. King George the third is such a great leader; he is going to bring this country greatness. In the beginning of this year, I have begun to write journal entries about my life in America, to hopefully inform future readers about my lifestyle. How great life in America will be!
Made with Keynote
Assembled with SlideSnack
As always, all revolutions bring change. In the American Revolution, lots of things changed, but some also remain constant. There was a new government system, peace, and independence from the British crown. America started including presidents into their governing ways. The new government kept the continental congress; but because they no longer had one supreme ruler, they made a presidential organization. In the peace treaty between USA, France, and Britain, America received the east of the Mississippi River, south of Canada, and north of Florida from France. Finally, one of the most obvious changes was freedom from under the British rule; nonetheless, just because they had independence and freedom, didn’t mean everyone was equal and received all the rights human deserve. There were still social classes, where rich, white, religious men were put at the top of the food chain, and black people and women were on the bottom. Another racial rule that was kept the same was rights. Black people still didn’t receive their equal share of rights. Also, women didn’t get rights to freedom of speech until later on; but even modern day women in America still don’t have their full rights. Though the American Revolution brought some good change, some things will always remain the same.