In This in a box project, everyone in the class were all given a box, and within 6 studio periods we were asked to create something that drives our theme (for example dreams). We were allowed to use any material, and you were also allowed to bring things from home. The first step in creating our box was inspiration. Our teacher showed us a group of artists who have different art techniques, and we also exhibited all the different materials we had. The second step was to scale, We were asked to find a picture online, and we cut it up into sections to make it have three layers. This was a model on what layering we were expected to do in our project. Of course the last step of our project, was to create the actual box.
Now, even with all this time to prepare, my final project looked nothing like my final plan. I figured better ways to express my theme when making some of the parts of my project. One thing I found really challenging was to follow my plan, as we had limited time and even though the final plan expressed my theme, it wasn’t expressing it in the best possible way, and it was a bit sloppy. The way I faced these problems were to use more simple ways to express my theme, but also making it within the 6 class time frame.
Meaning Behind My Art
During the first three studio days, I used all that time to create by background, with the eyes and the black paint. I used so much time to do my background because it is the center piece of my art. It is telling the audience that you are not the center of attention, as there are few colored eyes representing the people who actually notices you. The mask took me one class to make, and it is the only thing in my box that is light colored. This is telling the audience that sometimes even the ones you care about the most might not see you with the same beautiful, caring, loving eyes. Finally, during the last class, I made my jar. The jar had tape on top, showing signs that society allows keeps us sealed, and even if we try to escape, we never fully will (the clouds are the symbol of humans).
In this project, I really think I pushed myself to create a design using different materials and applying them to my box. I also most definitely tried to use my time in class to my advantage. During class time, when I was waiting for paint or glue to dry, I was pushing myself to make my box stand our and I was also making my box so that it better fits my title and my theme. After the course of creating this project, I most definitely grew as an artist. I feel like after the creation of this box, I could find multiple ways to express a mood, and not using a direct symbol to represent it. Also, I improved by creating a box that has a lot of “artistic stretches” such as using patterns, layers, color contrast etc.
Envision: Before I started the creation of my box, I thought to myself: “what symbols can I use to express Imperfect?” And I furthermore used that thought to drive my creation. I thought about certain features that will make my artwork stand out, material usages etc. After that I got review from others, and they found a few things I could improve on. Originally, I was going to stick nails on the surfaces of walls. But people suggested it gave it more like a dangerous feeling, instead of a mysterious feeling, so I got rid of that as well.
Reflect: About in the fourth studio class, we discussed with our peers how we can improve on our projects. Before that, I was looking at my artwork, I had changed some major parts to fit the time and my theme. For example, I was going to hot glue tears running down the face with nails in it. But that had nothing to do with my theme, and doing that was really for the fashion, so I got rid of it.
Stretch and Explore: I most definitely think I used stretch and explore in this project. When I was brainstorming on this project, I was thinking of just using paint for my background. After a while however, I found that using all types of different materials makes it stand out a lot more. So I went on and used paper eyes, a mask and nails, a jar with clouds etc. The only paint I used was black, and the reason I used it was to let the mystery feeling expand even more, like it is more tightly packed.