Posts Galore

“If you have good thoughts they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely." – Roald Dahl

Official Intro to Tutor Training

Hey everyone! This is a little intro to who I am and why I joined tutor training:

I’ve wanted to learn how to teach people for a long time. In elementary school, I idolised teachers. I could not understand how some of them were so good that they could teach me entirely new concepts in a short amount of time and provide effortlessly comprehendible explanations. In middle school, I gave it a go. As per class requirement, each student was given a respective younger student to buddy up with for a period. Most of the students decided to use this time to go out and play (the older ones would teach soccer and basketball). My buddy and I were heavily interested in reading. Every other day for a school year, we read books together. When there was a difficult word or a reference to something new, I would be there to try to provide an answer. It was fun and rewarding; my buddy and I built a tight relationship, and the discussions over the books we read were thought-provoking.

When I entered 7th grade, the coursework picked up. I was struggling to write good essays and stories in English class. My parents helped me out in that regard and taught me how to write interesting and concise pieces. Most of the knowledge I have today is due to the proficiency of teachers. When I entered 9th grade, I finally gave tutoring in a formal setting a try. My goal was to teach an individual how to write creatively. It took a lot of thought and effort to plan daily lessons, and at one point I questioned if there was progress. The end product (student’s piece) was successful, and I am proud of the drive I had. However, I want to learn how exactly to tutor someone. I think it is essential to understand what goes into teaching someone (how to plan, how to access the student’s strengths, what exercises to do as a result of that). I went into the activity with a laid back attitude that because I fully appreciate and understand creative writing (through my practice and reading of countless books) that I can teach a person with just that. But it does not work like that. The tutor needs to plan thoroughly and take time to reflect on past lessons.

I believe that through this course, I will be able to define exactly what I need to tutor a student effectively. I understand that tutoring is different from teaching, but the reason to do it is still the same. Helping someone learn brings benefits to the tutor as well as the student. The tutor learns necessary skills for life (how to communicate, teach and plan) and also is further along the path to mastering the subject being discussed. There is also the very important part that a tutor can heighten the student’s desire to learn. Learning something new is truly a great experience if you are interested the topic.

I have a small bio on my home page addressing who I am, but I’ll sum it up quickly here. I love learning. I’m most interested in English Literature, Humanities and Science. Most of my time is spent reading. This is a bit problematic because I have no problem picking up and starting two more books while I’m halfway through another one. I’m currently reading The Shining, The Da Vinci Code and just recently finished The Crucible. I am a visual and auditory learner (if someone gives me a textbook or explains the topic, I work better). I also like to swim and act in theatre.

I’m excited to build up my skills in tutor training this year!

14 Comments»

Mikayla H wrote @ January 15th, 2019 at 10:13 am   Reply

Hi Khushi (koosi :D)
I can completely relate with you when being amazed at those kids who could basically mentor another student. I appreciate how you enjoy helping others such as your friend who read books with you.
It’s impressive how you helped the student and their progress. You portray great characteristics of an amazing tutor and I hope I can work alongside you!
Good luckkkk.

khush wrote @ January 17th, 2019 at 10:57 am   Reply

Heyyyy Mikayla,
I’m loving these compliments 🙂 You are a very emphatic and dedicated person yourself (signs of a great tutor). I hope we can work together too!

kelsey.fu wrote @ January 19th, 2019 at 3:23 pm   Reply

Hi Khushi!!
First off, I can definitely relate with your reading issue! I, too, tend to flip through several books at once haha. Seems to me that you’re already ahead of the game with your prior knowledge of what makes a good tutor! Not only that, with your patience, kindness, and drive, you will definitely inspire those you tutor in the future. Gook luck with your course!

khush wrote @ January 23rd, 2019 at 1:53 pm   Reply

Thanks Kelsey! I’m glad I’m not alone in my weird reading trait. I wish you success too!

Sabrina L wrote @ January 19th, 2019 at 8:47 pm   Reply

Hi Khushi!

I love how you made the connection between teachers and tutors and I totally agree. Your love for reading will definitely motivate others to read more books (like myself). Your dedication towards english and literature will defintely be your strength in tutoring others.
Good luck!

khush wrote @ January 23rd, 2019 at 1:55 pm   Reply

Thanks Sabrina, I really do think reading helps a lot in developing thinking skills. Wish you the best!

matthew wrote @ January 22nd, 2019 at 5:51 pm   Reply

Hello Khushi!

I can definitely connect to idolizing teacher when I was young. I believe your love for reading prompt you indulge yourself in neccessary information, making you an excellent tutor.

Very Nice!

khush wrote @ January 23rd, 2019 at 1:58 pm   Reply

Thanks Matthew! Yeah, its a bit of a pain to read long articles about difficult topics, but at least there’s something to be learnt from them. 🙂

Siming wrote @ January 22nd, 2019 at 8:02 pm   Reply

Hi Khushi,

I also like to read – the Da Vinci Code is a great novel! It’s great that you have a wide array of subjects that interest you, because it means you’ll be a great tutor in all of those areas. I hope you achieve your goals and become the tutor you wish to become. (also, i didn’t know you swam!!)

khush wrote @ January 23rd, 2019 at 1:57 pm   Reply

Yeah, I just finished the book yesterday. And I’m happy that there’s more by the same author. Thanks Siming, I hope you are successful as well. 🙂

Sally wrote @ January 23rd, 2019 at 6:27 pm   Reply

Hey Kkush khush!!
I can totally relate to how tutoring not only gives to the tutees, but also comes back to us, as the process of tutoring itself is a beneficial learning experience. I admire your passion for reading and writing as that is what I struggle with the most! I really hope you could help me too someday 🙂 I am sure you have the perfect traits for tutoring! Be confident! Hope this course works out great for you!

Kenzie C wrote @ January 23rd, 2019 at 9:12 pm   Reply

Hi Khushi!

From your “About Me” writing peice i really got to know you better as a person! I really found that your perspective towards teachers is very alike from me! When I was small, I also that that teachers were the greatest people in this world.

allen.feng wrote @ January 24th, 2019 at 9:00 am   Reply

Hi Khushi,
I think that your interest from tutoring from your childhood is a great asset for being personal and understanding towards your future.

Nathan C wrote @ January 24th, 2019 at 9:00 am   Reply

I really like how you have a backstory of how you tried tutoring and received it. This lets you really relate to those who you teach. I wish you the best of luck in tutoring other people!

Your comment