Fireworks Turtle Art:
- Analysis of a Turtle Art Drawing
The fireworks starting art was made starting with a fill screen so that the background was black. Then the shade was set to 50 so that it could be changed. The pen size was set to be either 2 or 3 followed by a random color between 0 and 100 and a setXY of 0,0. The creator then set a random orientation using the seth block before repeating pen up, forward (random), pen down, forward (random). All this code was repeated so that the lines would form an explosion. This code uses a lot of randoms. This means that I should be able to make this fairly accurately because I do not need specific measurements.
I was able to remake this art following my plan. I was able to use random orientation, color, and length to recreate this. The first thing that I changed when making the fireworks was the incrementing and decrementing of color on the lines. I set the shading to plus random between –10 and 10 so that it would change. I also had the color, pen size and shade of the line set to random so that each would be different. This meant that all the lines would vary in thickness, color and shade. In addition I made it so that at the end of the line there was a gap then a shorter line. I made the number of times it did this random.
- Post an inspiration (art, architecture, patterns, nature) and make a plan for creating it in turtle art.
I plan on making this starting with the background. I plan on starting with a double curve to for an s shape. I then can setXY to the bottom of the screen and then set the xcor so that the turtle to goes one unit away from the previous curve. I should just be able to repeat this with a setColor block to form the background. However, the specific colors may be difficult and the shape of the curves could become an issue .Then the birds should be pretty simple. I will just have to make one but rotate and repeat it for the second. I could add more if wanted to and I could adjust their size however that would make it less accurate.
- Post your final product and how well you followed your plan, include any challenges you faced.
I think that I followed my plan well. However, I ran into some challenges along the way. My first challenge was the shape of the curves in the background. The arc tool in turtle art did not allow me to make uneven arcs. This meant that I had to add additional movement blocks which made the curve weird. This also meant that I could get as much curve as I wanted. Another challenge I ran into was the incrementing/decrementing of colors. In the original artwork the differences in colors is very clear and there is a smooth transition between 5 major colors. However, in turtle art I couldn’t get the same differences. If I incremented the color any more than it would start repeating colors, if I increased the pen size and repeated it fewer times I didn’t get enough of a color difference, and if I tried starting at a specific color value every time I wanted a specific color (ex. 20 for yellow) then there wasn’t a smooth transition between colors. Eventually I decided on the incrementing colors and tried to increment it enough so that it would start with red and reach blue by the end. The rest of the code was pretty easy to make. A grey line across the screen and the two birds. The biggest issue I had when making the birds were their curved sides. I ended up going straight then doing a 40˚ arc with a small radius and going straight again. I think that this worked out well and is a good recreation of the original artwork.