Ava's Blog

Process Journal Entry February 20th

February 19th, 2019 · No Comments · Uncategorized

For today’s class, I started with a newly annotated version of my monologue. (see below)

This allowed me to make sure that I was doing what the rubric asked of me and so that I was consistent with my performance. The feedback on my performance was that I expressed my emotion through my tone of voice well and spoke clearly, but that my body language could be improved, for example having more crisp and purposeful movements that mirror what my voice is portraying.

In order to improve, I plan on practicing with more movement over and over again so that my muscles eventually remember by the performance period.


Create and Improve- Science and Engineering Project

January 21st, 2019 · No Comments · Design, engineering, grade 9, science

Before even designing my car on tinkercad, I created a rough version of it with card to make sure the measurements I had originally written out would work in actuality.

Originally, I wanted the sides to be a trapezoid shape to make it more aesthetically appealing, however, I found that getting the measurements correct for this type of body would be difficult to do well, which would in turn make it less aesthetically appealing than a close-to-perfect rectangular body. 

Once I had my new measurements, I was able to get started on tinkercad, which was definitely a more difficult part of the project because of the fact that I hadn’t used it in a while and was faced with a few issues that caused simple tasks to take longer than they should have.

For example, when I printed the car body, the holes I had designed to hold the axel were too low on the car body, and would not hold the axel.

I then found a material that had grooves running through it that were the perfect size for the axels I was using which i cut to match the size of the already printed car body. I then attached the wheels and moved on to the last little bit of the project which was the rubber band slingshot and the pole attached to the car.

I tried out a series of different types/sizes of rubber bands to see which would work best and ended up choosing a thinner, longer band. I then used a hot glue gun to glue a popsicle flat onto the front of the car and tested it out a few times. Here are some test runs:




Effective Ensemble Member Qualities

January 9th, 2019 · No Comments · Uncategorized

  1. Risk Taker
  2. Postive and Energetic
  3. Aware and in control
  4. Focused
  5. Active Listener
  6. Cooperative and Collaborative
  7. Efficient
  8. Leaders and Followers
  9. Positively Critical and Able to Act on Criticism

I think that being both a leader and a follower is very important while working in an ensemble since flexibility and compatibility is very useful in having an efficient and quality piece when working as a group. Personally I’m going to focus on being a risk taker this semester and gaining the courage to do more unexpected things in a scene, workshop, or while improvising.


Develop and Plan- Science and Engineering Project

January 8th, 2019 · No Comments · Uncategorized



Lesson 2 (Wednesday Jan 9th)-

  1. Sketch approved
  2. Cardboard prototype (as much completed as possible)
  3. Begin tinkercad design (if possible)


Thursday Jan 10th (after school)-

  1. Tinkercad completion if necessary
  2. Tinkercad file given to Ms. Lemley to have printed


Lesson 3 (Friday January 11th)-

  1. At China cup (class lost)


Lesson 4 (Tuesday January 15th)-

  1. Attaching of wheels
  2. Test run of car
  3. Find adjustments necessary
  4. Feedback


Lesson 5 (Thursday January 17th)-

  1. Finishing touches


Define and Inquire- Science and Engineering Project

January 6th, 2019 · No Comments · Design, engineering, grade 9, science

What is this engineering task?

This engineering task is to create a device that can demonstrate basic energy transfer in an efficient and aesthetically pleasing way.

What are you thinking about doing?

I am looking to create a toy that can be used in a kindergarten classroom to introduce basic energy transfer and use. Possibly a car track like this one the is an example of potential energy being transformed.

This would be relatively easy to make/build meaning it is time efficient, while also being a good way to introduce basic energy transfer to both young children and older audiences.



Elements of Costume Design

November 27th, 2018 · No Comments · Uncategorized

Factors of costume design:

  1. Age
  2. Gender
  3. Social Status
  4. Occupation
  5. Geographic location
  6. Occasion or Activity
  7. Time of Day
  8. Season- weather
  9. Historical Period
  10. Psychological Factors/Personality/Emotion


Claustrophobic Nightmare World

September 17th, 2018 · No Comments · Design

My set design exhibits the anxiety caused by tight enclosures, and the feeling of being trapped. To do this, I created a tower of cardboard boxes, ensuring that, although I was trying to show that the actors were trapped, I left one side of the boxes open so that the audience could see what was going on inside. I feel that I was successful in creating the idea of claustrophobia, but I wish that I could have made it more like a set in the way that I did not think of entrances and exits for the actors. Through creating this piece, I learnt a lot about the different perspectives of the audience and properly creating something to scale.

In Sabrina’s piece I see bright colours that set the eerie and angry mood she created. She was definitely successful in using paint and colours to her advantage, as well as creating more texture and 3D aspect of the scenery. One idea I may have for her is to have more on stage objects to add to the scenery.  


I am from, wishing on a star…

September 17th, 2015 · 1 Comment · Uncategorized