Ava's Blog

Create and Improve- Science and Engineering Project

January 21st, 2019 · No Comments · Design, engineering, grade 9, science

Before even designing my car on tinkercad, I created a rough version of it with card to make sure the measurements I had originally written out would work in actuality.

Originally, I wanted the sides to be a trapezoid shape to make it more aesthetically appealing, however, I found that getting the measurements correct for this type of body would be difficult to do well, which would in turn make it less aesthetically appealing than a close-to-perfect rectangular body. 

Once I had my new measurements, I was able to get started on tinkercad, which was definitely a more difficult part of the project because of the fact that I hadn’t used it in a while and was faced with a few issues that caused simple tasks to take longer than they should have.

For example, when I printed the car body, the holes I had designed to hold the axel were too low on the car body, and would not hold the axel.

I then found a material that had grooves running through it that were the perfect size for the axels I was using which i cut to match the size of the already printed car body. I then attached the wheels and moved on to the last little bit of the project which was the rubber band slingshot and the pole attached to the car.

I tried out a series of different types/sizes of rubber bands to see which would work best and ended up choosing a thinner, longer band. I then used a hot glue gun to glue a popsicle flat onto the front of the car and tested it out a few times. Here are some test runs:

 

 

Tags:

No Comments so far ↓

There are no comments yet...Kick things off by filling out the form below.

Leave a Comment