On the first day of creating, I gathered the materials that converts mechanical energy to electricity; lights, motor, a wheel and some wires. I spent the entire block trying to connect LED lights, the motor and the wheel together so I can light up the lights. But unfortunately, when I turned the wheel, the LED lights didn’t turn on. Before I could ask someone for help, the class ended.
On the second day of creating, I asked teachers for help. They helped me to check if my motor actually generates electricity. It turned out that my motor only generates minimum amount of electricity. It was not enough to power three lights. Therefore, I changed my motor to the one in this picture. This motor enhanced the amount of electricity produced. But I need a handle to turn this motor in order for it to work efficiently. So, I got a handle out of the gear box and I drilled a hold in the middle of the handle. Then using a metal stick, I attached the handle onto the motor. This time I tried to rotate the handle again, and finally the electricity produced was enough to power all three LED lights. (As it is shown in this video)
On the third day of creating, I brought my mirror and shoe box to class. I measured the size of the mirror and marked it on one side of the shoe box. Then I measured and marked a rectangle that’s slightly smaller than the mirror. Using a box cutter, I cut the rectangle that’s slightly smaller than my mirror and removed that piece of cardboard. Then using hot glue, I glued the mirror onto the side with the rectangular opening. Then I tried to glue the motor to the inside, on bottom of the box. But then I realized the wires are too short to reach the top. So, I got a plastic cup and glued the motor onto the plastic cup. This way the handle sticks out and the LED lights can reach the top of the box. In order for the LED lights to light up the mirror, I cut three little crosses and put LED lights through them. Finally, I cut a hole using a box cutter so the handle sticks out of the box and it is easier to reach for. Then I sealed the box with hot glue. Testing my make-up mirror, I turned the handle, all three LED lights turned on and it was bright enough to illuminate the mirror.
On the fourth day, which is the final day of creating, I realized my make-up mirror is not very aesthetically pleasing. So, I got six pieces of color paper and I chose the color blue because it is soothing to human eyes. Then I marked the size of the six sides and made amendments, so it fits the surface area of each side. Then using double sided tape, I taped all six pieces on to the make-up mirror. When everything Is done, I tested my mirror again. I turned the handle and surprisingly none of the LED lights turned on. I peeked through the hole of the handle and realized that the metal piece which connects the motor to the wires broke off. But it was too late to do anything because everything is sealed inside the box by hot glue. So unfortunately, my make-mirror didn’t end up working like its supposed to.