Science Polymer Investigation Journal 4 (Heat Reduct∞)

 

Prototype Observations

Prototype Observations Strengths for this Prototype Limitations for this Prototype
Prototype 1:

Noodle slime

The polymer was too stringy, it wouldn’t stick together and would fall apart, just like homemade noodles The prototype wasn’t too sticky and was very stretchy. It couldn’t stick together at all so when it would have to stick onto pans it would not work
Prototype 2:

Noodle Slime 2

The polymer was very similar to the first noodle slime however it was thicker It wasn’t very sticky It could not stick together and be too thick to be able to stretch
Prototype 3:

 

This slime was too sticky and wouldn’t hold itself It was very thick and sticky The polymer was too sticky and wasn’t stretchy at all. It would break apart right away.

 

 

Prototype Claim

Use evidence from above observations to complete.

 

Prototype # __4__, called _____Heat Reduct∞_______________, was most effective for meeting our goal because:

It was thick but stretchy and was sticky enough to attach itself to pots and pans, it was very durable and had a great grip.

 

 

 

 

Method of Final Design

Give a summary of how your final product will be made.

Make sure you list the steps and amounts used.

 

 

Materials

  • 30 ml PVA
  • 88 ml Glue
  • 118 ml water
  • 15 ml warm water
  • 5 ml borax
  • 900ml Beaker
  • Cup

 

STEPS:

 

  1. Mix PVA with glue in a beaker
  2. Add warm water
  3. (Additional: Add food colouring)
  4. Mix
  5. Add borax into a separate cup with water
  6. Add borax mixture into the beaker.
  7. Add 10 ml of PVA
  8. Add 5ml Borax
  9. Mix
  10. Add 15ml Borax
  11. 15 ml Glue
  12. Mix
  13. Add a spoon of Gelatin
  14. Add 10ml of laundry starch
  15. Add 1 ml of borax

 

 

 

Reflection

What was the process like?  What was challenging?  What was interesting?  What did I learn?

 

The process was arduous. We initially wanted to have slime be able to cover someone’s hand as if it was a glove. We tried various ways to make the prototype perfect but in the end failed and had to go back to the drawing board. We then all decided to go with a polymer that could be moulded into any shape the customer wanted it to be so it would be able to grip the pan, pot, or cup, correctly. We played with our materials and how much we used to be able to find something that was useful was a bit difficult. We then tried going to the internet for some solutions but later found out that we could never trust the internet. In the end, we were successful in what we made and we were able to have a perfect conclusion even though it wasn’t what we wanted in the beginning.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *