1. Analyze (explain how it’s made) a turtle art drawing from (https://turtleart.org/gallery/index.html)
The artwork I chose was named Transcendent:
The turtle moves up and down 790 times while increasing the shade by .1 for each half, with a pen size of 4 (default pen size) to create a gradient pattern.
More precisely, the turtle creates 790 of the line shown above in one half of the screen. With every line, the shade is incremented by .1.
10, 50, 100, 500 of the line shown respectively
2. Remake the drawing with adjustments. Describe the adjustments you made.
I made two major adjustments to “Transcendent” using Processing. One is the color. I set the color to 0, which is red.
The other adjustment is the increment of shade for every line. It was originally 0.1, but I changed it to 0.7. The effect I was trying to create with the adjustment was for the brightest shades of the bottom half to meet at a straight line with the brightest shades of the top half.
As you can see, the straight blue lines cover the brightest shades of red in the entire art piece.
The same adjustments were made in TurtleArt just for comparison. Similar effects are displayed. However, unlike Processing, the shade pattern goes from dark to bright, then from bright to dark. I realized that in TurtleArt, every odd multiple of 100 of shade results in the brightest shade possible, and every even multiple of 100 of shade results in the darkest shade possible.
3. Post an inspiration (art, architecture, patterns, nature) and make a plan for creating it in turtle art.
I am going to create my second piece based on three different things:
The Samsung logo, the Always On Display (AOD) feature on Samsung devices, and the design of the new Galaxy S10+.
Samsung logo, AOD, Galaxy S10+ shown respectively
I chose these three mainly because I am a great mobile tech enthusiast, and the S10 is one of my favorite designs of a smartphone to this date. I also chose the AOD feature to show on the screen of the device as the design of AOD is quite simple, but it seemed somewhat challenging to recreate at the same time.
My plan is to make sub-procedures for every single part of the device. For example, a sub-procedure for the bezels, soft keys, camera cutout, display, etc. Every sub-procedure, except probably for the AOD display, would include some kind of repeat function.
4. Post your final product and how well you followed your plan, include any challenges you faced.
The Final Product
Some steps, such as the positioning of different parts of the phone and the numbers required a lot of guessing and checking.
(As the code was too long to be displayed in one frame, I divided into two parts just for the sake of showing the entire code on this blog post. The left line is for ’12,’ and the right line is for ’34.’)
One major example of guessing and checking are the numbers on the screen. As you can see from the programming of the numbers shown above, it only includes simple movements and rotations, making the process extremely inefficient. For the sake of this project, it would’ve been better if I was able to include repeat functions, increments, etc, but this was the only way I could possibly think to create numbers in TurtleArt. The numbers are purely for aesthetic purposes and also to recreate the AOD feature.
Putting that aside, my plan went very smoothly. When I first completed what I had planned first, the frame, in general, looked very empty, so I decided I had to do something about it.
What I did first was adding the background. The colors blue and white were chosen because they are the colors composing of the Samsung logo.
What I got after adding the background consisting of concentric blue and white circles, but still keeping a black background directly behind where the phone was placed.
It was nice to have color and all, but the frame still looked quite empty. I needed to fill up more of the frame with a more effective design. That is when I decided to add the back side of the phone.
The result, shown once again. The frame finally looks much more filled than before.
One thing to note about this design is that the position of the phone is set to random on the screen. However, I still set reasonable parameters for the random function so that the entire phone could be shown in the frame.