robotics 1

I decomposed the parts into several layer, the inner and the outer parts.

the inner parts I tried to make it look like more of a sharp eye like shape and the outer parts as a more round and less sharp shape. Within the model the eye itself was created using create form and creating a sphere then cutting so it would fit within the model. The eyelid above the eyeball was also created using create sphere than cutting in about half then cutting it again with some thickness across the top.

The tool that I used the most was probably the complete sketching tool and sculpt.

sketch helped me create the basis of my model and sculpt helped me make smaller adjustments and big adjustments. I didn’t use sculpt that much because, most shapes I created could be made by either rotating or extruding then modifying them using cut, thicken, join, intersect and fillet.

another tool that I used was editing tools such as extrude and combine vertices. combine vertices helped me create the outer round part. when I created the outer cylinder it created itself in a weird shape where the outer parts were not joined together, creating a shape that would not be processed and create itself as a printable model. The join vertices tool helped me fix this by joining the vertices on the inner side and also helped me create the part where the triangle is in the inner circle.

a challenge that I faced was when I tried to make the several layers within the actual model itself. I had to thicken every individual part and join each part as a component and ultimately join them altogether. the other challenge was that an error kept popping up after all the components and bodies had been completed.

another of the hardest challenges that I faced was creating the tube shaped parts on the top I used the spline tool which I had used to create the axis of the balance to create curved lines on top of the actual model then used the sweep tool in order to create the tube like shape.

engineering project day 4

We got our 3d printed models back but was faced with a new problem.

the prints had come out wrong and the cover did not even fit in the wheel. because of this we had to scrap the 3d printed cover.

in haste we made a cover out of cardboard and decided to test whether the wheel would work.

we had to take out our stick because the weight was way too big, and decided to just make it so that the rubber band would wrap around the stack of ball bearings.

to our surprise and relief the wheel did work, however maybe due to the lack of the stick connecting the ball bearing and weight together, the wheel did not unwind all the way.

because of this the wheel stopped rolling after a bit and did not roll as much as it should’ve.

P.S for some reason the blog does not let me upload videos I have videos of the wheel rolling and being winded up

https://isbtube.isb.bj.edu.cn/video/science-project/8cfc7ecbf25f6220b27604ed477a955b

engineering day 3

this time we were able to finish up with our 3d modeling and sent our models off to 3d print.

The cover took especially long because we were trying model a lock mechanism that would work to hold the cover and wheel together.

however we decided to scrap that idea and just make a cover that would fit on the wheel and keep them together with adhesives like tape.

After examining the lead weight we determined that our wheel was too small as it was.

we tweaked a bit with our measurements so we could fit our weight in the wheel

after that we also decided to tweak a little bit with our measurements of the stick which would help in applying more force when winding down.

we decided to use the lead weight that was both the heaviest and smallest for us

engineering project day 2

On day 1 I and Justin came up with what we were going to make and started to model our wheel. our initial plan was to 3d print a wheel and by day 3 to complete 3d printing the wheel and cover.

we decided to print a hole in the cover in order to make it easier to fix a rubber band to the wheel.

 

but we weren’t able to finish the cover because we ran out of time, but we also managed to  make the stick that would connect the ball bearing and weight.

We decided to stack two ball bearings together and glue them together to make one pillar of ball bearings.

The ball bearings we got by breaking apart a fidget spinner, we used one ball bearing that was in the center and another one from the sides.

Science engineering

Using the concept of elastic force in order to wind up a wheel simply by turning the wheel. using the elastic force of either a spring or rubber band and the pulling force of a weight in order to create a toy that can be used to teach physics and converts energy.

the principal of storing energy is similar to that of a rubber wind up car. However the method used to create the potential energy is different from that of a wind up rubber band car.

wind up cars using rubber bands에 대한 이미지 검색결과\

using the pulling force of a weight and the elastic force of either a rubber band or spring, store kinetic energy and release it by putting it back on the ground after spinning it.