browser icon
You are using an insecure version of your web browser. Please update your browser!
Using an outdated browser makes your computer unsafe. For a safer, faster, more enjoyable user experience, please update your browser today or try a newer browser.

Project Collisions: FAILS

Posted by on January 28, 2019

Our team constructed the first design using string, white wrapping paper, our package, a small cardboard box, scissors, and tape.  Multiple drops took place and we noticed that the parachute is too small and isn’t working as planned. The force of the drops was still high and the speed is still way to fast for comfort.

In order to improve our design, we paid attention to area where it failed. The following “FAILS” happened during the drop:

The parachute did not bring down the force of the drop. The time it took the parachute to fall stayed the same as in Drop 0. The two data tables are shown below.

Drop 0 Data Table:

Mass of Box (g) Force Accuracy Velocity Time (sec)
Drop 0 A 51.6 132.9 Barely on the force plate 12.6 0.3
Drop 0 B 51.6 126.4 Barely on the force plate 10.4 0.3
Drop 0 C 51.6 669.9 On the force plate 10.7 0.3

Drop 1 Data Table:

Mass of Box (g) Force Accuracy Velocity (m/s) Time (sec)
Drop 1 A 51.4 682.8 On Force Plate 10.6 0.3
Drop 1 B 51.4 724.9 On Fore Plate 10.4 0.3
Drop 1 C 51.4 302.8 Barely on Force Plate 10.5 0.3

Some things also went well. Our successes include we have close to perfect accuracy and a reusable parachute that is hard to break.

For our next design, we will improve upon the first prototype by adding a larger parachute to our design to slow the fall even more.

Comments are closed.