Samantha Holding Design 1 Package
Our team constructed the first design using a cardboard box, string, hot glue, tape, and thin gift/ wrapping paper glued together. Multiple drops took place, and we noticed that the gift paper ripped many times and the box kept breaking, this happened so often it was really frustrating.
To improve our design, we paid attention to the area where it failed. The following “FAILS” happened during the drop:
Inaccuracy- Drop 2 was 180 cm away from the target and drop 3 was 150 cm apart from the force plate. This is because of the gift paper, due to the glue the paper kept ripping and holes would form. So it would drift to one way if a hole formed in a corner.
Box breaking- Several times the box would break, and we would end up having to retape the entire package, this was very wasteful as every drop the box would fall apart, and we would have to retape.
After we added the parachute the accuracy decreased so, unfortunately, the package did not hit the force plate any of the drops so we didn’t get a reading on the force.
In order to improve our design, we also paid attention to the areas where it succeeded. The following “successes” happened during the drop:
Time/Speed- Our falls were quite slow. As the parachute did not do so well in terms of accuracy, it did its job in slowing the package down. Drop 1 was 1.07 seconds and drop 2 was 1.18 seconds, drop 3 was fail in the parachute ripped and got holes, so it fell in 0.68 seconds.
For our next design, we want to improve upon accuracy, speed, and safety of the box. We will do this by adding a stronger more solid parachute, for example, a trash bag because they are big and they don’t need to be taped/ glued together. We will make the ends or strings that are tied to our box more equal in length and even out the weight of the inside of our box. We will also try to get a new box or just tape it together for one more design.