Our project seems to be going smoothly without a hitch. And here we are, the collaboration reflection. I enjoy working and discussing this project with Manjishtha and Elizabeth, we all have nice ideas and work together.
I believe that I am most successful in sharing ideas with my team, I give them nice ideas. I also try to put all my effort into my team and try to problem-solve when a problem arises. A thing that has shown itself that I realized was that I absolutely suck at completing work on time. Like actually. I think part of this is due to my (very poor) scheduling skills and the fact that I’m distracted easily by anything, like a good book. I could change this by becoming more focused and making a personal schedule for myself. I am also good with sharing ideas, because we have good ideas and we all communicate with each other. We came up with great ideas, and we also collaborated with each other. I went off-task a little bit because Elizabeth was absent and as such, we didn’t have anything else to talk about but financing but there was no initiative/motivative to start working on it because our prime focus was financing, something my available teammates and I were not experienced in. I do realize that I need to gradually improve my procrastination, and as such I can make a schedule and further communicate with my team.
On a waterbottle!
We finished our prototype from the design lab and here’s our finished product! I really like how it turned out but I feel like we could definitely spice it up a little bit.
I found out from this version that felt doesn’t stick very well to glue, and this one also helped me remember how to etch and glue lines. I realized that the backpack symbol looks like a robot head so I will be changing that.
On another note, I wonder if we can get the average letters in one name so we can make the name scan bigger. I also wonder how we are going to package these with our string.
One thing I will definitely change is the material I used along with the symbol. Prototype 1 is definitely a success.
It’s March, and the winter has not left yet (the groundhog was wrong)! We didn’t see any bugs in our quadrant 1. Quadrant 2 was nowhere to be seen except we felt the crunchiness of the dying leaves beneath our feet. Although we did not see any bugs, this data collection wasn’t for nothing. We now have a visible trend, with our predictions being somewhat accurate. Our predictions were that the number of arthropods during winter would decrease, and that has proven to be true, with a smashing 0 on everything.
updated data table
On a happier note, life is springing back. Along the riverbank, many people reported seeing spiders crawling about in the grass. We actually managed to catch a few, five to be exact. The first one seemed to be missing a few legs. This is a sign that bugs will be returning soon, which will give a little more insight into our trends for this year.
Spooky scary spiders send shivers down your spine
waohhhh its me
Overall, I really enjoyed this project. I really liked drawing and planning my skateboard and seeing the finished product. I was very proud of it, and I really like the work and effort I put into the skateboard + its finishing touches.
I started off with a prototype. This was a paper cut out with my planned design on it. This was Develop and Plan. Second, I then copied my design to my board after using the paper cut out as a reference. I used graphite paper to trace it onto my skateboard. This was Create and Improve. After that, I duct taped out my caracal and then spray painted a gradient from blue > orange > red. After that, I used paint markers to create my design, orange with white and the flowers. There was one thing I could have done, which was coloring it first before outlining it. Because I didn’t do this, the paint markers ended up smudging. Then, there was a challenge. I didn’t like the other side of my skateboard and so I spray painted over it with a dark blue. I sprayed too much and ended up making it drip; it had an uneven texture. I sanded it down, and then repainted it. I added wheels, and then it was finished 🙂
Skills I learned
I learned a lot of skills during this project. I learned how to spray paint and learned how to use other materials, such as paint markers, and using masking tape to spray over the subject without spray painting it.
There was a lot of things I enjoyed. I really enjoyed working on my skateboard and painting it, and I also really liked the gradient I made. However, the whole experience was the highlight and I feel really proud of my skateboard.
Ignite Week Media