Design 1: Piezo motor Skate Board
- First day(Thursday): find all materials. check whether Piezoelectric disc works or not.
- Second day(Monday): finish making one Piezo wheel of two wheels and testing whether this wheel generates energy or not.
- Third day(Wednesday): build another wheel and connect those two wheels into pipe and bearing. build the structure with the pipe.
- Last day(Friday): finish making.
- My own creative idea
- Effective: we can generate energy only by riding a board, which is common transportation.
- Opportunity to use various type of energy generating
- An easy way to generate energy
- Easy to access this board
- Cheap to make: the materials are cheap
- Complication of managing the electrical wire: since the piezoelectric disc is attached on the wheel, and the wheel keeps moving, the electrical wire of piezoelectric disc also should rotate in the same ratio of wheel moving. In fact, I solved this problem by using bearing as shown in the picture above, it will take so much time by testing and getting the ratio of the wheel and piezoelectric disc wire’s rotation because the size of bearing and the wheel is different.
- Limitation of time: since there are four wheels on the board, and it takes so much time to make even one wheel, I won’t finish this project on time.
- High possibility to fail: since it is my own idea, there is no tutorial and assurance of success
How it works
: The main idea of this is attaching a piezoelectric generator on the wheel so that whenever we ride a board, the wheel hits the ground and the attached Piezoelectric Disc gets a pressure. Therefore, it generates the energy. In addition, by using a motor as a wheel, whenever we ride a board, the wheel is rotated and generates energy. As a result, we can generate a huge amount of energy, the sum of energy from piezoelectric disc and motor, by riding a board.
- Students who are busy to go to the extracurricular activity: by riding this special board, students can go to class on time and charge their phone by the energy generated by the board
- People who live in a city where energy is scarce like Africa: they use the energy that they generated by riding this board
Design 2: Flashlight powered by Hand
- First day(Thursday): collect all the materials and test whether the thermoelectric Peltier and Piezoelectric disc work or not.
- Second day(Monday): Build the outer structure with the pipe. Test whether the Peltier generates and Piezoelectric disc enough energy to turn the light on or not.
- Third day(Wednesday): attach the Peltier and Piezoelectric into the pipe structure.
- Last day(Friday): decorate the appearance.
- Creative idea: In fact, the flashlight powered thermoelectric generator already exists(created by the winner of Google Science Fair). However, I added a piezoelectric generator on her idea so that it can generate more energy: the piezoelectric disc can generate more energy than thermoelectric energy by human hands.
- Easy to power the light: only by holding it and pressing the button
- Cheap to make
- Easy to make compared to the design 1
- A good opportunity to experience various energy generator
- Not original: the flashlight powered by humans’ hand is already created by Ann Makosinshki, the winner of Google Science Fair 2013.
- require many testings
How it works
: The main idea here is the concept of the thermoelectric generator and piezoelectric generator. The thermoelectric generator produces the energy by the difference of temperature. If one side is heated and another side is cooled, it generates the energy. That’s why I made a flashlight design with a hole inside a pipe: temperature between cold air and the thermal of hand. Also, the piezoelectric disc generates the energy if it gets the pressure. Therefore, whenever a user presses the piezo button, the energy is produced. Similar to design 1, it generates energy from two types of energy generator, which is way more effective.
workers who work in a dark place, like miner: since miner works at a dark and cold place, they are the perfect audience for this flashlight.
Adventurer: they can use this flashlight effectively since they are usually in a dangerous situation. Even though they are in a dangerous situation without a battery, they can use a flashlight.