In this science unit, we “group-designed” an insulator on a cup, we have the following aims while designing:
- The goal is to trap inside the cup as much heat as we can with the insulator.
- It has to be removable and has to last long.
- This is a group project involving two people.
- This design has to look good.
- This is a group project (in this case involving Alex and Aaron.
To test, we poured hot water into the cup and also used a thermometer to record the temperature of the water after five and ten minutes. Our final design, final edition looks like this when compared to a hand.
Materials: 1 wood, 1 cardboard, 8 tape, 2 fabric, 2 velcro, 1aluminum foil.
Self Partner Classmate
I can easily drink from this cup: 4 3 2
I can easily remove this: 5 4 5
I would buy this in a store: 4 3 2
This fits the cup well: 4 4 4
Stats in testing
degrees Centigrade Original After five minutes After ten minutes
Cup without insulator: 80 70 64
Cup with first edition insulator: 87 77 73
Cup with second edition insulator:80 76 70
Our biggest difficulty is trying to agree on the same materials.
Alex’s dream materials: Tape, Wood, Straw, Drill
Aaron’s dream materials: Velcro, Foil, Fabric, Hot glue
Our biggest success is finally agreeing on the same materials despite that being our greatest difficulty.