Hi there! This week actually turned out to be quite the productive one (in a way). To summarize real quick, here’s a list of what happened:
1. Made a plan based upon the meeting with PTA
2. Created group chat with designers
3. Started to work on small designs
So number one. Referencing to the meeting I had with the PTA, and the email that I never got back from the Booster Club, Ms. Lemley and I decided that it’d be best if we were to go ahead with our plan to set up shop within the PTA store. When talking Hailing, the PTA manager, we learned a lot of useful things, but you could just read what went down in the last blog post. What was most important was the place where we could sell out products. So this right here is a picture of what the PTA store allowed us to use for shelf space. Apparently, the store is categorized in sections such as gifts, trinkets, school supplies, and tech. There were a couple shelves that, with some reorganization, would provide a lot of space for charity products. However, after some back and forth with the manager, she quickly explained that the products on the shelves were purposefully spread apart as to prevent mass crowding. She said during the beginning of the year, the notebook shelves would be constantly swarmed by middle schoolers, so therefore shelf space had to be given priority to the products. After some pondering however, my logic said that if there were students arriving en masse to the PTA store to but textbooks and whatnot because of “Back to School”, why couldn’t student products be sold on the large shelves in the middle of the year, where the binders and textbooks were just gathering dust? Ah but for the time being, it shouldn’t really matter, as right now I’m testing the waters with smaller student designed products, which don’t provide that big of a burden for the volunteer mothers working at the PTA store with minimum employee training. You see, this whole process is a matter of trust. Once we provide some system that is fairly easy to the mothers, they’ll realize that a line of charity products is just another bunch of new products to sell as always.Adding on to that, I have yet to get confirmation that the blue shelf in the image above can be changed into a display/storage for the student design. I talked with Ms. Lemley, and if we get the trust and greenlight from the PTA for the new shelf, the whole selling part of this project ordeal is “all set”. I was supposed to get measurement for the sizing and all, but I didn’t quite get the opportunity to do so, and I still need to reconfirm with Hailing about the cabinet thing anyways.
The second (and third) part of the project was gathering all my fellow student designers from the HS community. Now, these people that I chose have had some history that I know or heard of with design and also creating products. I also specifically wanted them because I know that they can work will within a group. As of now, the small 5-person team consists of me, Jonathan Yu, Reina Zheng, Catherine Lin, and Emma Liu. There are some other people that I wanted to join; however I think that this 5-person team should be enough to create a small catalog of mini-products to sell at the small shelf at the PTA store, just for starters.
I’ve already briefed them on what to do, and hopefully over the break we should have some ideas down and in the works, so we can get started as soon as possible. Here’s a snippet of the chat:
That’s all for this week. Hopefully I’ll return in two weeks time with some finalized designs to place in the PTA store, which I will be in contact with Hailing again. Regarding the Booster Club, I highly doubt that we’ll be working with them in the future, but we’ll see.