- Females of the arie families (dragon raising farmers) are not allowed to be Broodmaster (owner/in charge of arie).
The Broodmaster is always the son or father, never the daughter or wife. Even if there is no son to run the arie, the daughter’s husband will become the next Broodmaster. Who says girls can’t be the owners?
2. The protagonist, a female lacking a husband, is shunned because she has seen the rare and mythical beast of legend, the Summer Dragon.
The Summer Dragon is the sign of luck. However, everyone believes that because she’s a girl, it does not count. But hey, her brother was with her when she saw it but he didn’t see it…
3. …so the government says her brother saw it and that it’s super lucky.
Since the protagonist’s brother is going to be Broodmaster when he comes of age, the government wants to let everyone know that because an arie boy has seen the sign of luck, luck will come to the dragon farm (arie).
4. The government and temples of Asha are all run by men. No girls allowed.
The Temple, the central government run by men, believes that women taint the sacredness of the Asha (their high god) and sends an over controlling male general who changes the story to claim that the protagonist’s brother, Darien was the one who saw the dragon. The general believes that females cannot see signs of Luck such as the Summer Dragon.
5. Female dragons are not allowed to go out and hunt, instead, they are only allowed to stay inside the pens and breed.
The background is that each child of the family that owns the aries (dragon breeding ranches that breed dragons for the military), is allowed to bond with a dragon qit (baby) and grow up with them, creating a strong bond. Each female dragon that is part of a bond in the family must become a breeder, while the males go out to hunt and fly.
6. Girls are not allowed to go train and fight in the military.
Men believed that women could not fight because of how weak most of them were, along with their dragons. Due to women only bonding with female dragons, men could not spare any female dragons to go fight. They also thought that female dragons would slow down the group and not fight as hard.