Something to remember by:
I love spring!
Where you’re going next year: Lausanne, Switzerland.
One takeaway from this class: My critical thinking skills and presentation skills have greatly improved (I no longer memorize my IO script😉) .
One favorite memory: Fun projects like creating the podcast and learning about important global issues such as racism and gender inequality.
One memorable text we studied and why I enjoyed it: I enjoyed analyzing Kendrick Lamar’s lyrics because as a music lover, it taught me how to be more aware of the meaning of the songs I listen to.
Any advice for juniors: Use Quizlet or Anki flashcards when it comes to remembering things and doing past papers is always useful.
The 8 Articles I have chosen focuses on the themes of the importance of leisure and traveling as I have recently begun to feel very sad that I can’t freely travel internationally, and reflective of the many lessons I gained from traveling and leisure.
- “A World Without Air Travel”: This article stood out to me because the pandemic has basically halted international travel which is really depressing. Therefore, after reading this article, I’ve finally begun to appreciate the many opportunities for traveling I have experienced.
- “The Advantages of Staying at Home”: This article stood out to me again because it reminds me of my time in quarantine earlier this year and the many valuable lessons I gained from staying at home.
- “How to Spend a Few Days in Paris”: I chose this article as Paris was the last European city I visited which intrigued me to discover a different perspective on tourism and leisure traveling. After reading this article, I learned how visiting tourist spots may not be the best form of tourism and learning about the history and culture of a city.
- “Capri Hotel, Changi Airport, Singapore”: I chose this article as it deals with the struggle with insomnia which was a problem I faced when I was younger.
- “The Holidays When You’re Feeling Mentally Unwell”: I chose this article because I wanted to learn about the benefits of holidays and traveling for mental health.
- “Travel as Therapy an Introduction”: I chose this article as I was curious to discover how traveling can be a form of therapy.
- “The Importance of Dancing Like an Idiot”: I chose this article because I wanted to discover the importance of the little things people do in their daily lives, such as, dancing like an idiot.
- “The Importance of Listening to Music”: As I love listening to music all the time, I wanted to understand the importance of music.
Although COVID-19 has heavily impacted my life this year, I still feel like the last eight months have been quite good for me. Spending more time with my family and reflecting on my life, in general, helped me realize the purpose of going to school, which made me feel much more motivated.
This past year, a success for me was attending two virtual summer programs because I had the opportunity to delve deeper into subjects I’m interested in and may consider pursuing in the future. And in terms of challenges, I think the main challenge for me during the last eight months was keeping up with work and handing in assignments on time.
For English, I enjoyed analyzing Malcolm X’s speeches, “When They See Us,” and writing my HL essay. One of my successes includes studying Kendrick Lamar’s album “DAMN.”. Studying “DAMN.” was very interesting because I’ve never analyzed contemporary music before, and analyzing Kendrick Lamar’s lyrics taught me many important contemporary global issues, such as systemic racism. To improve, I need to utilize correct terminology on my paper one and improve my verbal skills for my IO. I think doing more practice IO’s and paper 1’s will improve my language ability and critical-thinking skills.
Looking ahead, I’m excited to study The Odyssey, Frankenstein, and the articles. I’ve never read The Odyssey and Frankenstein before. However, I’ve watched a few videos from the School of Life on YouTube, which I found quite peculiar. I’m, therefore, keen to discover the interconnections between all texts and deepening my knowledge of language and literature.
SMART GOAL: Improve my performance on Paper 1 and deliver a great IO by practicing and doing more practice.