I tested different sizes and different shapes of fabric. I used different fabrics because I want them to have a sense of layering. I explored making a pillow case and how to create one.
This is the fabric that I wanted to use. I used some of the fabric, and most of the fabric didn’t match my initial ideas.
The final garments that I made is this:
I think I did get my initials idea put down, however, due to time limits and technical issues I did not finish my final product. But I am satisfied with this design because it has shown out what my ideas were. Also, the back of the mannequin was not made, because I did not have enough time.
The sketch above is the improvement/ final look of my garment. The red blocks are supposed to mean the pillows.
The garment is supposed to be similar to a waistcoat. A very big jacket that could be wrapped around people and could be adjusted anytime you want; due to the attachment of zippers and buttons on each piece of pillows.
Through the process of making my design, I enjoy creating and sketching. The making process with my sewing machine was a fun moment because I did get to explore more about sewing techniques. One of the difficulties that I met through this process was to stuff the cotton into the fabric because the open mouth I made was too small to fit cotton in, so I had to reflect and re-create my “pillow”. I would create a full-size garment to wear for next time. I am happy with what I have now, but I wish to create a more finely detailed look, so I can sleep with it when I am in class. The further improvement that I want is the sewing technique being better, and I can do this by finding a tailor. Due to it is a high fashion the sewing hem would need a french seam, and other techniques. If I have more time (after ELO) I would want to finish this up to make it perfect.
I think I did not achieve my goal because I did not make a finished look. However, I did get my ideas put together. I set out to sketch out a detailed look which I did before.
Due to the fabrication choices, I did not meet the original thinking of my designs. I think to do to some extent my designs have achieved my goal of having a comfortable garment that is suitable for sleeping whenever needed. I think the cotton that is stuffed inside is pretty comfortable.
I think the strength of this garment is that it could allow people to feel relief and unstressed during class and maybe take a nap. However, the weakness is that this is hard to fit in and it is not a really daily outfit to wear. I think the function of this outfit is not very useful but it is an original idea that could be explored in the future.
This is the final lineup I sketched:
The adjustment I made is that this is supposed to be like a big jacket instead of using traditional zippers or buttons I used ribbons that could tie the two front parts together. This is inspired by my previous research on corsets. This garment function is like a big sweater and it could be worn with other clothing too.