For our upcoming performance, my character is an emotionally unstable girl in her twenties. This means that the thought I have put into my costume/scene is all surrounding this idea that she is put together on the outside, but at the same time an emotional wreck you could say.
She is wearing a regular outfit that you wouldn’t look twice at if you passed on the street, but it will still reflect the fact that she is very put together in this sense. Here are some examples:
For my scenery, I plan on making it look like the character is in a therapists office and lying on the couch in the way that typical therapy scenes look in movies.
It would be great if I had access to a couch of some sort to lie on but if not I can always do it on the floor.
For today’s class, I started with a newly annotated version of my monologue. (see below)
This allowed me to make sure that I was doing what the rubric asked of me and so that I was consistent with my performance. The feedback on my performance was that I expressed my emotion through my tone of voice well and spoke clearly, but that my body language could be improved, for example having more crisp and purposeful movements that mirror what my voice is portraying.
In order to improve, I plan on practicing with more movement over and over again so that my muscles eventually remember by the performance period.
The most significant activity to me was probably the first time we did scenes out of a hat. This was because it was a relatively new way of learning improv for me since it had more specific guidelines as to where our scene was expected to go, as well as the fact that we had to take into account our other group members’ task cards. Due to the fact that we had multiple scenes to intertwine and create one big scene, there was more to consider, which meant that it was more challenging and allowed us to work more collaboratively while at the same time thinking much quicker in order to keep the scene going in comparison to an improv situation where we could just go wherever the scene took us.
Something that we did that confirmed my knowledge of improvisation was the activity where we were given the first line of our scene with a partner and had to continue on the conversation based on this start. This confirmed my knowledge because the main thing people think of when they hear that they’ll be doing is the “yes, and…” rule, or “no buts.” By having a slight idea of where the scene was to go, we had less freedom to go wild which meant that it required more open-mindedness when acknowledging what your partner was trying to achieve. Using the “no buts” rule definitely assisted my partner and I when improvising because it improved the flow of the scene.
Around the same time of our improv unit, I had a presentation in english class. Although it may be unexpected, the improv skills we were learning helped my speaking skills by a lot. This was because if I forgot the exact words I had planned, I had the ability to think on my feet much faster.