Before even designing my car on tinkercad, I created a rough version of it with card to make sure the measurements I had originally written out would work in actuality.
Originally, I wanted the sides to be a trapezoid shape to make it more aesthetically appealing, however, I found that getting the measurements correct for this type of body would be difficult to do well, which would in turn make it less aesthetically appealing than a close-to-perfect rectangular body.
Once I had my new measurements, I was able to get started on tinkercad, which was definitely a more difficult part of the project because of the fact that I hadn’t used it in a while and was faced with a few issues that caused simple tasks to take longer than they should have.
For example, when I printed the car body, the holes I had designed to hold the axel were too low on the car body, and would not hold the axel.
I then found a material that had grooves running through it that were the perfect size for the axels I was using which i cut to match the size of the already printed car body. I then attached the wheels and moved on to the last little bit of the project which was the rubber band slingshot and the pole attached to the car.
I tried out a series of different types/sizes of rubber bands to see which would work best and ended up choosing a thinner, longer band. I then used a hot glue gun to glue a popsicle flat onto the front of the car and tested it out a few times. Here are some test runs:
What is this engineering task?
This engineering task is to create a device that can demonstrate basic energy transfer in an efficient and aesthetically pleasing way.
What are you thinking about doing?
I am looking to create a toy that can be used in a kindergarten classroom to introduce basic energy transfer and use. Possibly a car track like this one the is an example of potential energy being transformed.
This would be relatively easy to make/build meaning it is time efficient, while also being a good way to introduce basic energy transfer to both young children and older audiences.
My set design exhibits the anxiety caused by tight enclosures, and the feeling of being trapped. To do this, I created a tower of cardboard boxes, ensuring that, although I was trying to show that the actors were trapped, I left one side of the boxes open so that the audience could see what was going on inside. I feel that I was successful in creating the idea of claustrophobia, but I wish that I could have made it more like a set in the way that I did not think of entrances and exits for the actors. Through creating this piece, I learnt a lot about the different perspectives of the audience and properly creating something to scale.
In Sabrina’s piece I see bright colours that set the eerie and angry mood she created. She was definitely successful in using paint and colours to her advantage, as well as creating more texture and 3D aspect of the scenery. One idea I may have for her is to have more on stage objects to add to the scenery.