Polymer Project Journal Entry Notes 4

Design Journal Checklist # 4


Optimising Prototypes

  • You describe important observations about each of your prototypes and identify strengths and limitations of each prototype.
  • Recommendations for future improvements to your design.
  • You make a claim about which prototype was most effective for meeting your goal, and your claim is supported by evidence from your observations.
  • You present a clear method for how to make your final design.
  • You reflect on the design process and what you have learned.


  • Your writing is clear and concise with few grammar errors
  • You use scientific terminology
  • You create multimedia that suits the post and presented my information in a way that clearly explained my topic.
  • Group video is also linked to post
  • Your blog post demonstrated a sound ability to meet the publishing standards for a blog post, including a clear title with “Polymer Journal #”, a category of “Science,” and tags


Prototype Observations

Prototype Observations Strengths for this Prototype Limitations for this Prototype
-Color is light blue

-Not too sticky


-Easily rips when pulled on each side

-Easily breakable/fragile

The bounciness and the stickiness was very close to what we needed it to be. Wearable products need these techniques. It was to weak for it to be a strong and tight wearable product. It easily ripped off which wasn’t good to use.
-Color is light green

-Very sticky

-Not bouncy

-Stretchability is excellent

-Not easily ripped off

The stretchability and the tightness of the polymer was very effective. There was less inconvenience with putting it on a shoe (easily attatch to stuff). It was too sticky, so it caused the feet to get stuck in the shoe during the experiment. Useless when it is hard to take something on and off.
-Color is pink

-Not too sticky

-Stretchability is just right

-Not easily ripped off



The criteria was all met and it added all the benficial points of the first two prototypes which meant that this was the best design. It had to have a little more stretchability, but it was full enough to have a complete wearabel product’s ability.



Prototype Claim

Use evidence from above observations to complete.


Prototype # 3, called Loopie, was most effective for meeting our goal because:

Our goal was to create a polymer that is not too sticky, stretchability is long/wide, not easily ripped, bouncy, and soft for a wearable product. As we can see in the picture above (pink), it has the perfect ability and technique. All the expectations were accomplished. In order to have a wearable product be convenient, it needs to have a just right stickiness and soft texture, so that it doesn’t cause any other catastrophic problems. For mainly shoes, it can be very effective. With various sizes using our hands to stretch it for larger use, it can be beneficial for kids who are growing. On the other hand, glasses can be fixed (shown in the video).




Method of Final Design

Give a summary of how your final product will be made.

Make sure you list the steps and amounts used.


  1. Start by having PVA solution, borax, water, white glue, plastic cup, stirring rod, and graduated cylinder.
  2. Pour 51 ml of PVA solution using the graduated cylinder into an empty plastic cup.
  3. Pour 0.5 ml of water and white glue using the graduated cylinder into the plastic cup.
  4. Pour 10 ml of borax using the graduated cylinder into the plastic cup.
  5. Stir the substances inside the plastic cup using the stirring rod.
  6. Put the substance changed to a polymer on your hands and gently smooth it out.




What was the process like?  What was challenging?  What was interesting?  What did I learn?

I felt like that in order to create a perfect polymer, it is very challenging. At first, I thought the we just needed to combine the materials given and mix it to create and meet our expectations. However, that wasn’t easy, because the accuracy and the specific amount of materials change and makes the whole process to fail. I found out that white glue wasn’t the main one that made the polymer sticky, it was when white glue was mixed with borax the most stickiest part. Originally I thought white glue itself was very sticky. I learned that in order to create a polymer, we need to understand process of polymerization and if we slowly see the process, the connection between the polymer and the actual experiment is very fascinating to do.

Leave a Reply