For our 2nd design challenge, we focused around the intricacies and specific steps involved with the define and inquire stages of design. This included establishing backgrounds, conceptualizing tools, planning and creating, establishing validity, and establishing reliability for a topic of our choice. For my project, I chose to research the effect of language barriers on DiDi customer experiences.
My data tool, an interview, was inspired by multiple online precedents as well as real-life interviews conducted by my fellow peers at ISB. For instance, multiple online interview questions aiming to better understand what an enjoyable customer experience in a taxi consists of targeted their questions to better understand the user’s perspective, knowledge, and opinions. These components inspired me to undergo a similar approach will interviewing, collecting relevant, reliable, and valid data to best support my claim. In-class research into the differences between qualitative and quantitative data also inspired me to pose questions that would and could provide both qualitative and quantitative responses, as in the understanding of the qualitative responses can be represented as values on a quantitative chart. This helped me not only understand perspective and opinion, but also analyze for trends and patterns within my data.
During the course of my tool development and research I created knowledge regards the effects of language barriers on DiDi customer experiences. Through my research, I identified the relationship between language ability and customer experience was linear, which implied direct causation from language ability, allowing me to best develop a solution. I did this through first establishing the background of my audience and identifying relevant social studies disciplinary concepts and forms of service. Using this information, I then began to develop my tool by selecting the components of research and developing a research question and hypothesis. Afterwards, I began to further develop this tool through planning and creating until I developed my first prototype. After a trial run, I revised and redid my tool, and then utilized it to collect information regarding my issue. Finally, I analyzed my data to identify and trends and patterns and used this information to derive a conclusion which allowed me to develop my solution to the problem.
Click here to view my final product.
Looking forward, I believe I must improve my establishing validity skills. This is as I believe my process during the stage was short and invaluable and did not benefit my project much. I can achieve this goal through practicing and reviewing the key skills involved with establishing validity such as utilizing feedback to improve the product or better identifying the strengths and disadvantages of each component. I believe I must improve this skill as this step is essential in creating both an efficient and effective tool to best improve the quality of my research.
Design Cycle #2