During this semester of 3D Modelling and Mechanics, despite being trapped at home for most of the time, I still managed to follow along with classes and create some quite impressive models using Fusion 360 that I would never have thought I could make at the start of the year. I’ve always liked DIY and modeling projects like lego and origami, so I see this class as a fun and relaxing time, creating projects I normally would never have done alone.
Throughout the course, I’ve completed 3 big modeling projects:
This was the first project we had to do in Fusion 360, getting to know the software and the basic tools within. I learned to use primitives, various tools like shell, fillet, pattern, etc, and how to navigate and use the 3D space to create a model. As this was my first time using Fusion 360, I didn’t know how to start, so I based the basic shape of my boots off of a reference picture I found online and made a few adjustments of my own. The feature I’m most proud of was also the most challenging; the shoelaces. They are made out of two torus primitives, put together by the move tool into a shoelace shape. Trying to get the shoelaces into position was the most challenging part, navigating through space one direction at a time, however, I later found out that there was a pattern by path tool that I could have used that would have made this process much easier. (oh well, first time for everything)
- Dragon (Toothless)
This intricate dragon model was made by using the form tool which is very much overpowered, having the power to sculpt basically anything in every shape possible. After getting familiar with the form features and how to manipulate their shapes, I found a reference picture with many different viewpoints (top, side, bottom) of the dragon Toothless from How to Train Your Dragons. I thought that this would be quite a challenge, but one I was willing to try. After getting the basic shape with a sphere and cylinder, I started to add detail and shape the structure based off of the pictures, and also slightly improvising along the way. I struggled the most on the pointy bits that are on its tail and wings, later finding great use of the crease tool to make sharp edges. During the whole process, I had to pay attention to the thickness of everything as it had to be kept over 2mm to be able to print and not break, also checking every now and then if the model could finish form since there were times when faces overlapped I needed to go back to previous versions to fix it. Overall, this project was a long journey, spending hours just tweaking and finalizing details. Nonetheless, it’s the most complicated and intricate model I have done (probably until now), and it was super satisfying when I finished it, comparing the final look to the initial shapes it was formed out of.
This container was the product of using mechanics in Fusion 360, creating a hinge as a flap. To create this model, we had to learn about linkages, different types of hinges, and the clearances that were needed for this mechanic to work. This container is made for a wooden cat model that I have, precisely using the sketch tool to have the right dimensions that would fit the cat inside as well as have the head of the cat be shown through the existing hole of the flap. The cool thing about this is that using a ball and slot joint, the flap should be free to attach and detach once printed out.
Looking back to my first boots model and to the dragon model and container model now, I can clearly see how my skills have improved over the course of this class, learning more tools within Fusion 360 and implementing them to make the modeling process more effective and precise. This was a super fun course and I believe the skills I have learned this year will be very useful in future projects (or simply just to impress my friends and family for fun).