Polymer Post5




Pour 85ml glue into the beaker.

Add 2 drops of food coloring to the glue

Pour 5ml of starch solution to the mixture

Pour in 10.l of corn starch into the beaker with the rest of the ingredients.

Finish with 7 drops of borax

Stir well until the product looks semi-solid semi-liquid


Our final prototype was the most successful. Our final prototype did exactly what we wanted, and overall that, it was completely fine when we left it overnight without a package. Our final prototype was also the most successful because we were able to create a certain consistency that was able to support the granulated cylinder. When other groups came over to our table to test out whether or not the object would move, the majority of groups noticed that our polymer was very successful. From our collected data, and peer reviews we know that our last polymer is the best out of all the others.

Polymer Post4.

Something I’ve observed about my polymer is that it could be a little bit sticky. By that, I mean that although it does what its suppose to, little bits of the polymer could get on the cup. This could be a slight problem because then the customers would have to spend more time cleaning the polymer off the cup, as well as clean the cup itself.  But something I also noticed was that we got a really nice consistency by using cornstarch, because for our previous prototypes when using cornstarch, our polymer would turn out really hard, this created a problem because we were looking for something more liquid than a solid. To dodge that, we used completely non-biodegradable ingredients, this led us to rethink because non-biodegradable ingredients are obviously not sustainable. Therefore, when we made our final product out of cornstarch, we were really proud and surprised.  A definite weakness for our group is that we don’t 100% know if our polymer is reusable and or ok to be washed with water. This is important because in order to save packaging material, and money, we need to make sure people can reuse our polymer.   

Polymer post3.

The main physical property I want my polymer to have is color. This might sound like a really vague physical property, but I’ve noticed that more customers are more interested in your product, if you have a variety of colors and types. For the time being, our group has 2 main colors which are green and pink. I definitely think that color will make a really big difference. Now that we have completed our “mock” product pitch, I definitely noticed some areas where we have to greatly improve. Away we can develop our polymer is by trying different materials. If you look at our ingredients list, you can see that we used corn starch, but we also used glue. And the ratio between the glue and the cornstarch don’t balance out. So I definitely think that trying to use different materials that are more environmentally friendly/ biodegradable could really make a difference. A couple methods to test the effectiveness of the polymer could be leaving it out overnight, or even washing the polymer with water. Since we don’t know how the polymer would react with water, it would really be helpful to test it out by rinsing it with water.

Polymer post2.


For our group, the second class was mainly based on making different prototypes for our cupholder. We experimented using different materials such as corn starch, PVA, and more. We also experimented using amounts of borax. My group and I found that the more borax, the more the polymer solidifies, but we also found that our polymer was more successful when we carefully measured out all the ingredients we used. Our main target/specific goal for this project is to create a polymer that can be used as a holder. For example, you pour a glass of milk and you leave the cup on the table, but accidentally you knock the glass of milk over. With our all new and original polymer, you will not have to worry about tipping over your drink again, because the polymer is easily removable, yet so easy to use. Our main target audience is everyone! From babies to grown adults. Here are images of the potential prototypes we could use. Each prototype has different ingredients used in it, and different consistency’s to it.