Project 300SL Cosmos

In this “Personalize it” ignite week, I decided to partner up with Christopher and build a car model kit plus some paint work. Christopher came up with the idea of doing car model kits and the videos that both he showed me and I watched on my own inspired me to do this project. Cars are our passion and we enjoy collecting car models, watching videos about cars, talking about cars, and even researching about cars. This is why we were so interested and excited about making our own car models. Christopher is the person who inspired me to do this because he is already experienced but I am only doing it for the first time. I think this process will be challenging because there are so much details included and I need to be very precise and focused. I think I will do great because I always do well on what I enjoy doing. The three pictures below are photos I took of the beginning of the whole process which I am currently in now:

Flat Six Engine of the car
Metallic Blue painted body part
Lower and upper frame structure of the car

It was challenging to assemble some little pieces for both the engine and the structure but I problem solved by sticking the pieces onto my finger, then gluing it to the whole thing. This is my plan for the whole ignite week:

In the continued process of Create and Improve, I made the interior of the car, assembled the doors and the front hooded, painted everything, putted the three layers/parts of the car together, and added a lot of little details to the whole car.

 

Three layers/part of the car

                                                                                          Finished product (Interior)The challenges I had with this car model kit was gluing the small parts to the whole car both in the exterior and the interior. I problem solved by using tweezers for some parts and using other methods and technics for other bigger parts. Doing this Ignite Week made me improve in both problem solving, endurance, patience skills.This is my Final Product:

Project Capstone: Making a Creative China

Some interesting things I learned about are: How to write an argumentative essay, how to write in a formal tone, and how to create a documentary video with interviews. These things helped me understand how this project is a combination of all the skills we learned in FA7 and FA8. For example, we had projects that were based on pollution around the globe in both seventh and eighth grade FA. We also learned how to create animation and other kinds of videos in eighth grade FA. In this Capstone project, we used both skills that were learnt before. Completing this project, I learned that in my writing, I lack in linking my evidence back to my original claim and point. For example, in my argumentative essay about Chinese local schools lacking in creativity for their education systems, some of the evidence in my first body paragraph didn’t really connect with my big thesis statement, and that some of the points didn’t match. Before this project, I used to think that raising awareness and making big changes were not possible, but now I think that it is possible if your action is very persuasive and it influences people one by one. The driving question impacts me and my community because making a change for my community is really important because everyone wants their societies to have no more issues. Looking back on the Capstone Project, I realize that this is the capstone and the very top and end of our middle school FA years and that it is a combination of everything we learned in FA. This project is the most complicated and difficult one.

Phase 1: In this phase of the project, we began to research on the SDGs, and chose  our topics for the project. We created our compelling question and the prediction model of our outcome. We also created our surveys and went to the Hutong twice. We built the basic foundation for our project in phase 1.

Phase 2: In this phase of the project, we did all the research for our topics and did our annotated bibliography for our sources. After gathering all the information and sources, we wrote our rational writing essay. We also created a final model to map out the final outcome of our project.

Phase 3: In this last phase of the project, we created our final call to action video to inspire and raise awareness for change. We needed to address and explain the problem first, then build empathy for the topic. At last, there needs to be a part that inspires action and lets other people make change.