Polymer Journal #5

Loading...

Loading…

2. Trial 18, the final trial, was the most successful prototype we made because of the different packaging, ingredients, and handling. It is able to hold a phone onto a wall for more than 20 minutes, has a comfortable grip, and does not stick to our hands. When we stick the polymer on the phone and held it, it had a smooth and comfortable feeling.; when we did the sticky test, where we held the polymer for ten seconds and see if it sticks to our hands, it came off easily. Prototype 18 can stick on the wall for more than 20 minutes because we added 5ml of PVA glue and also because we rest it for 48 hours without touching it. If we hold the polymer right after it is made, the oil on our hands cancels out the stickiness. The polymer has a comfortable grip because we have added the guar gum bit by bit and mixed really well, so there are no leftover pieces of guar gum in the polymer like what happened in prototype 2. Prototype didn’t stick to hands because we didn’t use huge amounts of glue and PVA like what we did in trial 4, so we balanced the amount of glue used so it sticks to certain objects but not to our hands.

3. To start off our experiments, we planned out which of the original slimes match our goal more, which was gloop. Then, we analyzed the specific effects of each material and started to test. For example, our ideal polymer needed high stickiness, so we tried to add PVA which increases the stickiness. We had multiple trials which are not very successful, but we were able to gain knowledge from every try. After each trial, we discuss which material caused what to happen, and what we might have done wrong in this prototype. After that, we create and improve, we learn from our mistakes and modify the previous ingredients thoughtfully.

Our presentation to the Dream On Team wasn’t really successful. When I got up there, I was really nervous. I forgot to explain half of the ideas that I’m supposed to about our goal, and I also screwed up when answering the questions after the presentation. The Dream On Team asked me how long could the polymer hold the phone on the wall. I wasn’t sure because we haven’t tested it before, so I wanted to be careful about how I answer it. I told them that it could at least stick for one minute. But after the product pitch, Kelly and I were interested in how long it actually holds, and it turned out to stick for more than 20 minutes. Another thing is that I feel like Kelly and I didn’t have much energy during the pitch, comparing to the other groups.

In the past experiments we’ve done, we couldn’t figure out a way to reduce the two ingredients that are harmful to the environment: PVA glue and borax solution. When we decrease the amount of borax used, the polymer would take shape and becomes a liquid blob. When we decrease the amount of PVA glue, the polymer doesn’t function because it has no stick. Since we didn’t have more time to figure out a better way, we decided to switch gears to making an environmentally friendly package. We agreed not to use plastic in the packaging, but it also had to be airtight in order for the polymer to sustain for a long time. So I came up with the idea of using a metal box. Where we used metal that has already been recycled to make our packaging.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *