Journal entry 4

For my 4th journal entry, I’d like to say that our project was an over all success. For our polymer, we got a bouncy, solid polymer. We, however, needed to find a way to make sure the polymer sticks and forms its shape properly. Tucker then suggested the idea of wrapping rubber bands around the polymer so that it would stick in place while the polymer air dries. This is our final product, but we have much to improve. For example, this image below shows us that we need to more evenly place the polymers, since one side is heavily covered and the other is just barely covered. Another things is that this doesn’t stick well if not coated over a bit of the phone, so we are developing a second polymer that goes with this to make it stick.

Journal entry 3

For our 3rd journal, what happened was we had the right formula, but it hardened before we could mold it into its shape. What we wanted it to be was a phone case that becomes a slab when soft, and if maintained properly, will harden and become a phone case. We have tried many variants (of which photos were not taken of), including clear, slightly clear and different amounts of cornstarch and PVA. In the end, we made a slab. This product is designed so that people won’t break their phones the moment they drop it, since most phones are very fragile (confirmed by personal experience).

Journal entry 2

For my second polymer journal entry, I will cover some critical points between the time of finishing journal entry 1 and starting journal entry 2. Firstly, I was appointed “Media Man”, so I was not only in charge of helping conduct experiments, but also documenting everything down. We then conducted 3 trials on our first prototype. The first trial yielded a small, stable yet stiff slime. The second trial yielded a larger, but more unstable and equally stiff slime. Our third trial, however, was not able to correctly form its shape and ended up being a failure. We then began our second prototype, but was only able to get one trial down. The only trial we did before i wrote journal entry 2 was a trial where the slime was huge, chunky, squishy but not very bouncy. The audience of this product was people who drop their phones often, since our expectations for this polymer includes solid, bouncy (to any degree) and dry. Our main goal for this polymer is so that it could break the fall of a phone.

Knife of never letting go Characterization:Todd

Todd, the protagonist of the book “The Knife of Never Letting Go” is a 12 new world year boy who is part of a colony who went to explore a new planet, as Earth was overcrowded with people. He believes that the natives of the planet, Spackles, “killed all the women with a deadly disease that made every man’s thought be heard by others”. He then runs away from home, where evil men are, and he finds a girl and another colony that has women. In that colony, Todd learns that the Spackles never unleashed a disease, but that the air allows all thoughts of men to be seen and heard, but Prentisstown, todd’s home, killed all the women they had due to believing it was unfair that women heard them and they cannot hear women. In the end, Prentisstown goes on a killing spree of women across every town and eventually makes it to the capital of the new world, Haven, and takes it.


Todd has grown mentally on his journey. He learns about his past through the knowledge of others and a book that Viola, his traveling buddy, read to him. The book was written by his mother, who was killed during the fray of the prentisstown woman massacre. At one point in the book, he is hit so hard with grief that he kills a Spackle, and Viola decided to ditch him, after he sacrificed his ┬álifelong dog friend Manchee to save her, not to mention the times he didn’t sacrifice much to save her. To be honest, Todd changed a lot, being from a selfish boy to a selfless boy, warning colonies and colonists along the way.

Journal 1

Breaking the word “Polymer” into parts, “Poly” means many and “Mer” means part. While many people think that Polymers are just plastic, polymers are more than that. To say the least, polymers are materials that are either made of a chain of the same molecules or materials that are made by different molecules in the same order over and over again. DNA, for example, is a chain of different chemicals repeated again and again. Polymer molecules are put in random shapes, just like spaghetti on a plate, since that’s just how they bonded. Not all polymers are transparent, since not all polymers are plastic or has plastic traits. Large majorities of polymers are made up of petroleum and have limitless colors and shapes.


Polymers, however, can be difficult to get rid of. Recycling has been attempted, but around 53% get recycled, leaving 47% unrecycled. However, since the 3D printer was developed, people realized that you could use polymer to fuel the 3D printer’s materials.


Sources used:

The Basics: Polymer Definition and Properties