Be the Change – A Capstone film

I started the process of making this film by spending some time planning and making a storyboard. I believe I followed the storyboard pretty well, although I made a few minor changes. Because I couldn’t film polar bears myself, I used two youtube videos in my film. All other features in the film, documentaries and animations,  were either filmed on my phone or hand-drawn on an app called FlipaClip. Throughout the filming process, I learned how to find better angles for filming better shots, and how to use animation apps. Through the entire Capstone project, I learned more about my own topic and other issues in China and the world through other videos and essays.

Throw a ball

From this activity, I learned about using logger pro to plot points from videos and how I can use that to analyze equations and functions. We worked well as a group on each step of creating the video, each one of us analyzing one video. We faced some technical difficulties at times that we needed to seek help from others or figure out ourselves, which could have stopped us sometimes while working. We could have better thought out plan or even an idea of what we needed to do. We’re constantly stopping to work on something that we suddenly realize we needed to do, so it could be better if we had a planWe should have a better plan so we’re not facing problems and having to stop what we’re doing to think about what to do next. This would make the process go much faster, easier, and smoother. 

Polymer Journal #5

Prototypes 1, 2 and 3 were all equally successful, as they all made very good stress balls. Though they had different recipes and the final texture of each prototype was different, they made suitable stress balls for different people. Prototype 1 made a very hard, bouncy slime that doesn’t stretch and keeps it shape, which is perfect for a hard stress ball. Prototype 2 had a softer texture than prototype 1, and didn’t keep its shape as well. It stretches better than prototype 1, making the medium stress ball. Lastly, prototype 3 was very stretchy and so soft that it felt like water in your hands, but it didn’t hold its shape like prototype 1 did, making the soft stress ball. During the process of making slime, slime activators (Tide in this case) changes the position of the molecules of the reactants (guar gum and water) in a process called cross-linking. Because of the different amounts of guar gum used for each prototype, the thickness and consistency were different. However, no specific prototype was the best because they make suitable stress balls for each person based on their own opinions.

 

Our design process was very simple. In class, we decided on our specific goal, which is to relieve stress, and we chose a target audience that we are familiar with: stressed teens. We decided on creating stress balls right away because it is the first thing that came to mind when thinking about stress relief. We also had a clear goal of how to make our product different from others: eco-friendly stress balls. In the end, our polymer was very eco-friendly in terms of its ingredients. Despite using biodegradable ingredients, one challenge we faced was that we did not have anything eco-friendly to put our slimes in to create a stress ball, so we had to use a regular balloon. Another flaw of our product was that if left out for a few days, the slime “melts.” One stress ball was made to be the hard stress ball. However, over the course of two days, it softened so much that it became the prototype for the soft stress ball. This also shows the sustainability of our product. Even if the hard slime melts inside the balloon, it can still be used as a stress ball, despite the change of texture of the slime. There are many flaws that our product has at the moment, but we would like to make some future improvements such as using more eco-friendly/biodegradable and stronger balloons in exchange to regular balloons or making our slime last longer inside the balloon.