Scene Design Challenge

The phobia I chose to create a stage set for is claustrophobia. In my design, I include a large box in the centre where the actor could fit in and act. The front of the box is made of plastic material in the model but should be latex or a rubbery, stretchy material in the real set. This is so that the actor’s hands could move around and show how they are trapped in the small space. By doing this, the actor can show the audience their fear through hand movements, rather than facial expressions as they are trapped in the box. This is demonstrated by the black handprints in the model. It is also surrounded by smaller boxes, which actors will not be in. On the set, they will be like the model, handprints painted or models of hands showing through the latex. The numerous small boxes are placed, so it creates a smaller, tighter space on stage, further enhancing the display of claustrophobia as not only is the small space inside the box but also on stage as a whole. As the stage is intended to be a thrust stage, the smaller boxes all face outwards in different directions, so all of the audience could see. Lights could also be placed behind the largest box, so the shadow of the actor inside could be seen better.

 

In the process of creating this model, I think what I was in successful in is that I had a clear direction of how I wanted my stage to look like. I immediately knew that I wanted to display my design on a thrust stage, and I think I did a good job of displaying my design on this type of stage by orienting the smaller boxes. However, considering the thrust stage, I think I can make at least three sides of the largest box latex, so the audience on the sides can also see the actions of the main actor clearer.

This process helped me to understand the amount of work and consideration that gets put into one single set design. Not only does the designer have to consider the setting of the play or scene, but also how each piece is placed for the convenience of the actors and different lighting and sound effects. They also have to be creative and original in most of their designs, to create a better viewing experience for the audience. It is also hard to take all factors into account, so it is awe-inspiring how set designers create effective, convenient and visually pleasing sets.

The CASE Podcast Ep.02

This is episode 2 of my CASE podcast series. The feedback I received was based on standard Civ 13. I need to be more clear on what specific policies I am talking about in my podcast, which will then allow me to have a better basis for deeper analysis. I also need to elaborate more on the unintended consequences/outcomes of these policies.

The CASE Podcast ep.01

This is an improved version of my first podcast, where I made changes to my podcast based on feedback I received of Flipgrid. The feedback I received was “I’m wondering what effect moving the last section, about the different views, and putting it in the middle of the interviews could have done to keep the listener more engaged.” Acting on this feedback, I inserted a small comment and summary of each interviewee’s response after their recording and sound effects to section off my comment and their recording. I think it did make my podcast more engaging because we can hear some opinions based on the interview and not just listening to three interviews in a row. I also like this improved podcast more because I also put some personal opinion on it. Before I improved the podcast, it wasn’t nearly as engaging as the improved version and now it could maintain the audience’s attention for most of the podcast.

Design Cycle #2 D-Log Define and Inquire Unit

In the Define and Inquire unit, I focused on the research question “How can language barriers affect the experience of a customer’s Didi ride?” Following a tool development flow chart, I clearly established the background of both the audience and the research question, created a component justification and created a tool which I used to collect necessary data to develop hypotheses towards the research question.

First of all, I decided upon the research question because it is a problem that my friends face whenever they use rideshare apps. Whenever we take a Didi together, I am always the only one that speaks to the driver because I am a native Chinese speaker; however, that made me think about how my friends would react to this situation when they take a Didi without a Chinese speaker.

A previous data collection tool I developed for the Capstone project inspired me to create a survey for my tool. The survey I created last year showed me a variety of data regarding people’s opinion towards a specific problem, which is exactly the same type of data I need for this design cycle. Therefore, I created a short ten-question survey that collects both qualitative and quantitative data.

Originally, my hypothesis for the research question was “The lower the Chinese proficiency level, the worse the Didi experience.” However, after collecting data, the hypothesis proved to be untrue. Compared to the original hypotheses, the ratings received from the interviewees are all 4 and above, with one exception. This could be because interviewees could avoid communication or have minimal communication with the drivers if the Chinese skill level is low. Today, with the technology industry soaring, a large number of translation apps are offered. Didi users with language barriers could simply translate using a phone app and show the translation to the driver.

In the future, I would like to continue practising creating concise, effective and efficient interview questions. Although my tool was a survey with mostly ratings out of 5, I need to make my qualitative questions more effective in terms of collecting accurate data.