In Project Collisions, I am creating a system to deliver foods to the peoples who can’t get foods easily. For example, peoples in the battle area, by drones. The drone will release the package from a height of up to 10 meters, and my job as an engineer is to develop a solution so that the box is protected in its fall.
For Drop 0, a package with the dimensions of was dropped from a height of 5 meters. Below is a photograph of the package:
The package will hold A hamburger, A drink and some fruits inside, items are organized like this:
The purpose of Drop 0 is to get baseline data about our package. The group developed a testing procedure so that we can be consistent on how data is collected throughout the design cycle.
- Person A folds the parachute twice. And bring it up.
- Make sure Person A is carrying their computer to the drop area, person B is preparing for the drop and person C is waiting down to pick up and record the data after the package is dropped.
- Person A Check the product, check if there is anything that’s not stable or need to finalize. (Checking for last minute completing)
- Person C check if the Logger Pro is plugged into the computer and start video recording.
- Person A goes up to the dropping area and measure the high for the drop. Person A aim for the force plate.
- Person B make sure the product is at the needed height.
- Wait for the video person B to start the video and the data recording.
- Person B judges if the drop will be safe and if it is, send a signal to person A for the drop.
- Make sure there is one person C waiting down to pick up the package and collect data.
- Drop the package in a safe position.
- Sit down together as a team, look over the package and the data.
- Compare with what we had before.
- Look at the mistakes and find out a solution then fix it.
- Encourage each other and keep the product safe in place.
*If not successful:
- Encourage each other, compare the data with drops before, look at the mistake, find a solution, fix the error. Collect data.
During the drops, I noticed that Sometimes, Our package will twist and also hit in the corner. So I thought that it was a big problem that we needed to fix. The following data was collected:
The average time it took for our package to fall the 5 meters was 1 Second. Using LoggerPro, we plotted out the fall of the package.
Our package got faster and faster.
A force plate at the bottom of the drop was used to collect data on the impact force of the package. Our group was It hit the target, but it bounced and half a meter. As a project metric for accuracy, we want our project to 40~50cm.
The average force on impact was 98. As a project metric, our group has decided to make a parachute to 40
Summary: Project Metrics
Our team has determined that the three most important criteria to design towards are Accuracy, soft landing, and food in shape. Below, each metric is described, and the goals were determined by data from Drop 0.
- Soft landing land with force about 30~50 with is about 40% difference.
- Have accuracy and make it land on the force plate.
- Food is separated.
Our group is now building the first prototype. I hope that we have the things above.