In Project Collisions, I am creating a system to deliver McDonald’s by drones. The drone will release the package from a height of up to 10 meters and my job as an engineer is to develop a solution so that the package is protected in its fall.
For Drop 0, a package with the dimensions of 20cm (height), 25cm (length), and 20cm (width) was dropped from a height of 5 meters. Below is a photograph of the package:
The package will hold McDonald’s Burgers, sides, and drinks. Inside, items are organized like this:
The purpose of Drop 0 is to get baseline data about our package. The group developed a testing procedure so that we can be consistent on how data is collected throughout the design cycle.
- Check if iPads are both recordings
- Check if anyone is near the target. If so, ask them to move
- Hold the box right above the target and drop
- Take the box to the group table
- Record observations of the box and put them on the data table
- Record needed information from video data on the table
During the drops, I noticed that our drop is very accurate. The following data was collected:
The average time it took for our package to fall the 5 meters was 1.45sec. Using LoggerPro, we plotted out the fall of the package.
For the first time, we dropped the box from 5 meters above the force plate. The box fell down in a straight vertical line and landed on the force plate but immediately it bounced up and the box fell apart.
A force plate at the bottom of the drop was used to collect data on the impact force of the package. Our group was very accurate in dropping the package. As a project metric for accuracy, we want our package to drop within a maximum of 1 meter away from the target.
The force on impact was 98 N. As a project metric, we decided to reduce the force by 20%, which is about 170 N.
Summary: Project Metrics
Our team has decided that the three most important criteria to design towards are:
- Metric 1: No spills – Nothing in the box can be spill or break.
- Metric 2: Low force – Keep the amount of force as low as possible.
- Metric 3: Accuracy – Land within 1 meter of the target.
Our group is now building the first prototype. I hope that we can decrease the amount of force and keep a soft landing.