Design Inspiration – Target audience and inspiration
Brainstorm on paper
2 basic sketches demonstrating what the lamp could’ve been, the right one follows the form of a tree, while the left one is a flower pot combined with a lamp
This is the first prototype, I ditched many of the botanical features found within the sketches in favor of a fully minimalistic “stick” design:
This is the second prototype,
I laser cut 3 pieces of plywood for the base and layered them on top of each other to create an opening for the power cord, though this feature will only be present in prototypes, as the intended design is battery powered.
For the tubes, I used paper rolls, and inserted a plywood rod through it, which I wrapped the led strip around to provide light. I covered most of the rod with paper so that it did not look too ugly from the outside, but there is still a bit of wood exposed in the back that isn’t visible in the image.
I created this scene in Blender in about 3 hours (beginner here, which is why it took so long to make such a simple scene) to show an example of a place where the lamp could be positioned, in this case, on a desk.
The shape of the lamp was designed specifically with focus on minimalism, which was one of Michelle B’s interests. The lamp’s shape is composed of all cylinders, which makes it simple to recreate, though the way the second paper roll and the way the LEDs are concealed are slightly more complicated.
“Clearly made targeting user’s interests, what is this lamp used for, decor or for practical use? (e.g. desk lamp).”
“The light part of this lamp isn’t very bright – could be brighter”
“Maybe the light part could be bigger? Or the top part could be adjustable (like a trumpet) – could open and close (slide)”
- Neutral colors, natural material (wood + paper, sustainable) – allude to interest in nature & contemporary modern art (reminding me of that).”
I agree with this feedback, for the most part, I created the lamp with Michelle B’s interest in minimalism in mind. The feedback on the light-emitting part stated that it was too dim, however, in the original design, it was intended to be much brighter. Also, the adjustable “light part” was considered in the original design, but scrapped for the final prototype as there was no easily accessible method to stop the upper half of the lamp from falling down after it is raised.
Overall I am quite happy with how this project turned out, though the lamp wasn’t very impressive in the end, I managed to make it look relatively high quality by employing precise cuts (using a laser cutter) and use of adhesives.