Original Turtle Art
Even though this task is simply to remake the original turtle art, I tried my best to add my own ideas. As a result, I coded everything except a glacier and a snow background. There are specifically four adjustments from the original turtle art: a color of snow and glacier, moon, reeds, and the scarecrow. The purpose of my remakes is to celebrate the new year with abundant foods(farming). Therefore, I changed the original turtle art, snowfall, to farming. Before explaining my adjustments, I want to briefly mention the process of converting turtle art codes into processing. This helps me to understand the codes of the original Turtle Art. I could utilize these codes after I totally understand. Hence, I do think it was useful to convert into processing instead of working in the Turtle Art. However, there were a few problems in Processing such as I can’t display a negative number on the screen. Setting color as -9999 makes the white color of snow and glacier in this turtle art. Therefore, I could not display the white snows and glaciers. I thought there will be an alternative way like setting the shade as 100 to make a white color. I also could not set the shade to 100 because the shade of the snow and glacier are already set in the sub-procedure. Because of this limitation, I decided to change the color of the snows and the glaciers. Luckily, I could find a more suitable color, blue and orange, to my theme.
First Adjustment: Color
First of all, I needed to revise the color. Since the theme of my remake is related to farming, I decided to change the color that can indicate each season. By using Sub-Procedures and combines those into one sub-procedure, I could easily manage the color. I set the procedure of snow codes as ‘snow’ and glaciers as ‘ground’ and combined those into one sub-procedure, set as ‘field.’ The color of ‘Farming in Autumn’ and ‘Farming in Winter’ are set as 10 and 50, respectively. To intensify the feeling of autumn and winter, I used a different color for weeds. The color of reeds in ‘Farming in Autumn’ and ‘Farming in Winter’ are each random(10, 21) and random(10, 35). I randomized the color of reeds to make it more realistic.
Second Adjustment: Moon
A full moon effectively emphasizes the feeling of the New Year, which is my theme. In addition, the moon looks more realistic by incrementing the shade of it. I created the moon through the iteration of forward(0). Therefore, I could increment the shade.
Third Adjustment: Reeds
Reeds are one of two major adjustments that I made. Reeds highlight the theme of farming. By using iteration and random color, an arc length of reeds, and coordinate(setXY), I could simplify the codes. The codes of the reeds are composed of two arcs. By setting this radius of these two arcs, I could randomize the sizes of reeds. These changes ultimately made my art more virtual.
Last Adjustment: ScareCrow
The Scarecrow also supports my theme, farming. Since there was no repetition in the scarecrow, I could not find a way to simplify the codes. Also, I really put enormous efforts to create a realistic and detailed scarecrow. Jean overalls, brown hat, and the dots on the jean(only appears in farming in winter) are key points. I used iteration(rectangle) to make a hat.