Project Collision 5

Project Collision 5

 

 

Although it has been quite a challenge, for example, school is still temporarily closed due to the coronavirus, I managed to solve all my problems lately. Our company, Technical, promises fast and efficient delivery. Within your package you will receive tech accessories that you have ordered, we promise our products will not get damaged in the process. To ensure that the package is safe, my partner and I are building prototype parachutes to test which size the parachute is the best for landing softly and accurately. Our goal is to drop the package within 50cm close to the target, which we have conducted several tests at home.

The items held constant in the trials were the material of the string, the length of string and the material of the parachute. The material of the string was yarn in substitute for the fishing line, the material of parachute was LDPE plastic which we decided was a substitute for nylon. A change in our design iterations is the size of the parachute which my partner and I have decided the parachute size to be 38cm, 48cm, and 58 cm in diameter.

The bottom parachute is the 58cm parachute in diameter, the constant is the strings and the material of the canopy, I did not really have any challenges during the production process. The parachute at the top is 48cm in diameter the material is also the same as the 58cm parachute,  again there were no issues during the production process. The 38cm parachute is the parachute at the top, the parachute canopy was not transparent but still, the same material and the strings were not yarn but a substitute for yarn. For this first design, I had some trouble finding the right type of string but eventually found some. I thought my sister did not let me use her yarn when I made the parachute, but after persuading a lot I got yarn for my second and third designs (48cm and 58cm).

 

This data table includes the size of the parachute in diameter, (38cm, 48cm, and 58cm) the speed of fall in meters per second, the three trials, the averages and medians from the drops, and the accuracy of the fall (Left, Right, Center)

A challenge I faced with the drops was if my trials were accurate, so I had to re-test a lot in order for my data to be correct. A positive from my drops was that I had enough materials for my drops. If I ran out of LDPE then I would have had to either use another type of material or just restart and test with another material. For the 38cm parachute the average was 1.67 m/s and the median was 1.68 m/s, the average for the parachute that was 48cm was 1.31 m/s and the median was 1.35 m/s, the average for the 58cm parachute was 1.32 m/s and the median was 1.26 m/s. For the drops for the 58cm and 48cm parachute, there were some outliers in the data set, the data set from the 58cm parachute was 1.05, 1.26, and 1.66, the minimum and maximum are both outliers. The data set for the 48cm parachute was 1.4, 1.17, and 1.35, the minimum and maximum are also outliers. The reason that there might have been outliers might have depended on when the parachute deployed, because when the parachute is deployed later in the drop the speed will increase, but if the parachute deploys at the start the speed decreases.

 

Claim: The larger the parachute the more accurate the parachute drops

Evidence:When I started testing my first parachute, I realized that the parachute did not land anywhere near the target. Since the spill hole lets the parachute land more accurate by letting some air through the hole, but still landing slowly. This reflects it might have meant the spill hole was too small, so that it did not land that accurate. When I tested the 48cm and 58cm parachute I realized that it was much more accurate when it dropped, when I started testing both they were starting to land within the 50cm range.

 

 

 

48cm:                                 58cm:

 

Trial 1 = Left/50cm              Trial 1 = Center/50cm

Trial 2 = Center/50cm         Trial 2 = Center

Trial 3 = Center/Right          Trial 3 = Left center/50cm

 

Reasoning: The reason why this could be happening is that the spill hole increased during each build, so the accuracy got better. This relates to Newton’s 3rd Law: For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. For example, since when I added a parachute to the box, the drop velocity decreased.  This meant that when the parachute dropped the air resistance was letting the parachute drag or slow down, the spill hole is to let the air resistant pass through so not only does it drop slower, but it becomes more accurate when the box drops.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *