Project Collision 4
In the design cycle, there are three stages to pass, each stage will have a reflection. I am currently at the third stage, Create and improve. Our company, Technical, promises fast and efficient delivery, within your package you will receive tech accessories that you have ordered in the box, we promise our products will not get damaged in the process. To ensure that the package is safe, my partner and I are building prototype parachutes to test which size the parachute is the best for landing softly but accurate. Our goal is to drop the package within 50cm close to the target. Currently, due to the Coronavirus, I am having trouble accessing some information at school and also having trouble working with my partner since we are not allowed to go out, so my partner and I have decided to make our prototypes by ourselves, which also is a small problem for my partner but eventually he figured it out, I have no variables to change since I have the materials I need.
- Person A set up iPhone so that it is at an angle so that the camera can see the railing to the target (4 large steps back from the target center
- Person B adjust the arm or bamboo stick so that the positioning of the parachute is aligned center of the target
- Person B hook the hook on the package onto the bamboo stick and start final readjustment
- Start recording count down (3, 2, 1)
- Count down for three seconds after the recording count down (3, 2, 1, GO)
- Person B let the bamboo stick go at an angle down so the package can drop
- Wait until the package has met the ground then stop video
- Put the video in logger pro
- Analyze data and record into the data table
- Then record which side the package landed (Right, left, center)
- Repeat steps 1-12 with the other two variables
This is my data table after I dropped the parachute. The independent variable that I am changing is the size of the parachute (38cm, 48cm, 58cm diameter) and the dependent variable on my data table is the speed of the fall (m/s and the accuracy of the fall (Left, Right Center). For the speed of fall, I did three trials for each size to make my drop speed accurate, for the 38cm (diameter) the average was -1.66 m/s the accuracy was not good since they all landed out, for the 48cm (diameter) the average speed was -1.3 m/s, the accuracy was better than the 38cm parachute since the spill hole increased, for the 58cm (diameter) the average of the speed of fall was -1.32 m/s, the accuracy was very good and it landed center / 50cm two times and landed left-center / 50cm one time.
- LDPE Plastic
- 8 strings
Since the Coronavirus situation is very serious, I had to change somethings. One thing I had to change was the box, I could not find the box with the same dimension, but I got the box that was about the same weight as the box and the item. I also had to change the material of the strings since I did not have the fishing line, so instead, I got yarn instead to substitute the fishing line.