The song I chose is called High by Alyssa Reid. The reason I chose this song is completely random. I randomly selected a song in my music list. The reason I chose this line of lyrics is because I personally think that, when listening to the music, this line gives the most meaning of the song. Also it’s what makes me remember the most clearly.
This one is the first idea I came up with. It is not quite finish because I changed my idea to another one. I used the same font type but changed the format, also adding color to it according to the feedback my partner gave me. She suggested that it might be more engaging for people to see and not that boring. According to this feedback, I choose to let the letters stay black but instead adding decorations with color around it. I also added a border to make it not that abrupt.
After finishing the first design, I realized that it doesn’t really communicates the style of the song. I then got feedback from the teacher, suggested that changing the font might have a better effect. I decided to start another new idea, so it allows me the compare the two pieces to see which one is better.
The first draft of the second idea I come up with is these two:
The design on the left I added a bottle to represent ‘drug’ and added circles in the background. The font isn’t a specific font style, I just roughly wrote a brief form that might fit the lyrics. The design on the left is something I came up with while sketching the first one. The font I use is Butterzone. After finishing the word ‘drug’ I realize that this doesn’t really work, so I went back to the first one.
This is the final poster:
This is the PDF version:
Strengths & Weaknesses
- The style of the song is a pop music. I decided for the final poster that the letters should all be in capital and same cap height. It has a straight base line and all meats the cap line at the top. I am aiming to create a sense of pop by making some words more stand out while some remains smaller.
- I chose to use different font style for important words like ‘vein’ and ‘drug’ in this point to communicate better. making the letters more outstanding and different from each other gave a clearer message.
- One design element I used a lot is line. The letters were mainly made by line element. It was also used to make decorations. Also shape element to create the background and bottles. This helps by giving a visual message which communicates the style of the song.
- One thing that might be helpful is to use more design principles. Using negative space or cropping.