The Paper Menagerie

In Ken Liu’s short story “The Paper Menagerie”, Jack, the main character, develops his understanding of his identity through the author’s use of character interactions, [Symbols], and [POV].

The author’s use of character interactions assists in the development of Jack’s understanding of his identity. One of the key identifiers is how Jack’s personal thoughts or narration was affected by his interactions with different characters. For instance, proceeding the second dinkus (i.e., around the fortieth paragraph), Jack interacts with the neighborhood boy Mark. After this interaction, which involved the damage of Mark’s toy, an Obi-Wan Kenobi action figure, Jack antagonizes and victimizes his Chinese mom. In particular, after spending long periods at school, one can notice that Jack appears to become more racist. This is demonstrated through his violent dialogue towards his mother, in which he loudly and shamelessly demanded his mother to “Speak English!”. Later, the narrator expressed that he would not have spoken to his mother unless she spoke in English. This can indicate that his interactions and dialogue with external factors such as racist neighbors and teachers would cause a change in personal identity

On the sidewalk bleeding

The main character, Andy, in Evan Hunter’s short story entitled “On the Sidewalk Bleeding” initially believes that he was a Royal and that he was uninjured, but later understands that he was Andy and that he was dying. His changing understanding is revealed through the use of the environment, personal thoughts, and interactions with other people.

  • “He did not know why his voice had deserted him, or why there was an open hole in his body from which his life ran readily, steadily, or why the rain had become so suddenly fierce.”
  • “Now, in the alley, with the cold rain washing his hot body, he wondered about the meaning. If he died, he was Andy. He was not a Royal. He was simply Andy, and he was dead.”
  • “Andy lifted his face from the sidewalk, and his eyes said: Please, please help me,”

Door Alarm with Sew-on LEDs and the CPX

My project was a door alarm that used the accelerometer to detect door openings. My plan originally wanted to hide the processor behind felt with holes in the felt base for lights and controls. It also had the processor on the bottom and had a width far greater than the processor. The four lights were designated to the four corners of the felt. The keycard also had a similar processor design and also had a green light on top to represent if the keycard is activated.
Due to the extreme difficulty of installing the processor upsidedown, it was altered to face up while sewed on the front. As the entire processing unit became fully visible, the built-in green LED was used instead of the sew-on LED. Additionally, the processor on the alarm was moved to the top as it seemed easier to access with the keycard. The phrase “keep out” was kept. In doing so, the additional four lights had to be moved from the four corners to four points arranged in a rectangle which circumscribed the circular processor.
One of the most important things I learned was how to decrease the amount of thread and materials needed to make an item. The amount of felt used in the original design was nearly thrice as much as the finalized product. I decreased this by compacting the battery case, LEDs, and the sewed-on words. In doing so, I also limited my conductive thread usage. I would recommend decreasing the complexity of the sewing so that it would take up less time. This is mainly to improve the quality of the code, which will make the final product more immersive. It is also beneficial to begin work on the programming before the project is to be started.

Animal Petting Zoo for Grade 1

Reflection:

Recently, the class “Robotics and coding” has started a new unit. We will make robot animals that will react to what we do. We learned to use the Microbit. It is a device that can be programmed to complete simple tasks such as turning a motor, detecting light, or, say, show a smile. The Microbit can be programmed online. We are supposed to use the microbit and its motors to create a moving animal (My motors work but the light sensors don’t). My animal is a turtle. It includes a head (detachable), a shell (the front can be opened), two front arms, and two back legs (or…maybe feet?). My code basically says that if a light=less (because the hand will block light when petting the turtle), the turtle’s head will look left and right (my servo still doesn’t work, although I can use my hand to conduct the currents from the Microbit to the “2”…This does work).

The turtle includes a flat shell (I didn’t have time to work out the dimensions of a round shell). Two arms stick out of the middle body part. They can move due to a thin layer of solidified hot glue. The arms are two layers thick while the legs are only one layer thick. If the Microbit is standing up (logo up), the 5×5 display will show a smiley face with eyes that look left and right. If the head is pressed hard enough, one of the buttons would be pressed. This would make the turtle’s arms move up and down.

I began to design the turtle by carving out an oval (24′ by 12′ (I Think ‘ means inch)). Next, I designed the 1 layer arm (*4). The top shell was actually broken into eight pieces as I thought there wouldn’t be enough cardboard left (there was). The Head was the last part to be designed.