- Client Name: Elite’s®
- Background information: [Elite’s] is recreating its logo to reform its company branding. They require a fresh logo that can be utilized ubiquitously across the globe and beget new looks to customers.
- What is the product/service? [Elite’s] is a company of sports items and goods. It is one of the largest sports product producers in the world. [Elite’s] manufactures sports gear for almost all of the sports that exist in the world.
- Context: [Elite’s] was established in 1988 by two founders: Jonathan Park and Jason Park. The head office is located in the United States, and there are more than thousands of franchise stores in the world. [Elite’s]’s motto is “Only the elites use our products.”
- Who is the target audience of the product or service? People who play sports are the target of [Elite’s], and the age range would be 10~40 years old.
- What 3 keywords would the client use to describe their product/service? Durability, performance, and comfort.
- Images that illustrate [Elite’s] and its aesthetic directions:
While brainstorming logo design ideas and selecting them, I was unsure about the concept and just wandered. However, by viewing numerous inspirational designs, I consolidated my mind and determined to design a polished and dynamic logo using the technique of logotype.
Initial Logo Designs:
Feedback from teacher and peers:
I received direct feedback from my peers that the first design (one with curvy font) was more appealing. Moreover, I personally liked the first one more. Therefore, I continued to develop my first design with various concepts:
Then, I got another piece of advice from my peers “sustain the originality.” They meant that the black-and-white design I created before was better than other designs. Frankly, I concurred with their opinion, but I also wanted the logo to be open and be in a form that could be altered with unprecedented creativity. Hence, I revised the [Elite’s] logo could be utilized more ubiquitously across the world and advertise the [Elite’s] company. Thus, I have decided not to state a strict rule regarding the logo hue alteration and logo placement to the extent that it does not affect the company’s identity.
Furthermore, Mr. Griffin has commented that the gap between the letters instigates the logo to look unnatural. Consequently, with the technical help of Mr. Griffin, I was able to rearrange the letter arrangement and refine the logo to be more polished.
Formative Panda Book Award:
At the beginning of this logo design unit, I was still unfamiliar with the tool “Affinity Designer” and was unsure how to design a logo. However, as I developed my skills throughout this logo design unit, I now feel the difference between now and then. Additionally, considering the Panda Book Awards logo and Elite’s logo, there are palpable pieces of evidence that I have developed and got used to several graphic design techniques.
- What creative decisions did you take and why?
Throughout the project, I have made numerous creative decisions. For instance, early in the process, I decided to utilize the [‘s] style to my logo, inspired by the SSG Landers logo and Oakland Athletes logo. The reason was that I deemed that the [E’s] design was effective at conveying the message that the products of [Elite’s] are elites’; in other words, only the elites use our gears. In addition, when I had two selections of the logo, I chose the curvy handwritten style design because it was more aesthetically appealing.
- Which design elements and principles have you emphasized and how does this make your logo effective?
I have emphasized the design elements of shape and color and the design principles of contrast and unity. These elements and principles instigate lucid and straightforward designs, rendering viewers easily discover the topic.
- What did you do well in this project?
I have progressed a lot and made many achievements in graphic design through this unit. I not only learned about logo design but also learned about the general knowledge of graphic design.
- What would you improve/do differently next time and why?
Next time, I would like to try designing other types of logos. For instance, I want to design a mascot or an emblem of. a brand.