In Product Design 3, we were tasked to create a small illuminated scenery inside a wooden box, or a ‘Lightbox.’ We were to create an environment of a place we missed and could not visit because of the pandemic, and for this, I chose the Irvine Spectrum Centre. It was a place we often stopped by when we went to Los Angeles to visit my aunt in the summer.
Throughout the process of creating this lightbox, I learned a myriad of new design techniques, such as the basic use of Adobe Illustrator, the shape that layers needed to be designed as so objects such as LED lights and other layers would fit, etc. My biggest obstacle, though, was perhaps organizing and designing the layers in Adobe Illustrator, as I had missed out on a few classes where Adobe Illustrator was used. At last, though, I found the shapes I wanted to use, I organized them out, I cut them out, and I ended up with what I wanted. My biggest success was perhaps assembling the painted layers together into one final product. I had thought that the process would take longer than one or two classes, but I ended up putting everything together in less than one class.
Overall, I think this entire project was a great success. In the start, I spent several classes without completing anything, as there were technical errors that understandably stemmed from online classes. However, as we came into real, physical school, I quickly solved those problems with the help of teachers and peers, and I eventually caught up to the others’ pace. In the end, my final product turned out to be almost exactly what I wanted, but there are some aspects that I would change, given the time or materials. First, I would have made my background/sky layer more of a gradient shift from purple to dark blue/black. Second, I would have increased the width of my palm trees’ trunks, as they’re extremely fragile. Lastly, I would have designed my third layer, or my storefront buildings differently, had I known I needed to individually cover each window and door with masking tape to prevent the lines from mushing together with the acrylic paint.