Leather Design Challenge
During the summer, my gum experienced a few problems. Because the gum sat under the sun for so long, the texture became soft and too tenuous. Some even melted or split apart. In addition, the case got ripped and malformed the gum pieces. My product provides a good solution, by insulating the gum packet, and protecting it from heat. It also protects it from getting ripped by keys or cards. During this assignment, I had learned how to sow using a sewing machine, something I previously had no experience in, although it turned out much harder than I had anticipated. If I could start from the beginning again, I would add the buttons and pins first, before I sew. I also should have understood how the buttons ad pins worked before trying them completely blind. I think the sowing was the part I struggled with most because the amount of pressure placed on the foot press must be stable at all times. I also found it challenging, because I couldn’t keep up with the pace of the machine at some points, which resulted in large mounds of string. However, that didn’t stop it from being a decent product. The entire holder is a single piece, not including the strap. That minimized scraps, glue, or additional sowing. Lastly, I’m proud of this product, because this was the first time I had tried using a sewing machine on leather, and what came out was not a total failure. And considering the design limitations, I’d say this product is pretty good!