As the days flow by, everyday is getting wintrier, crisper, and frostier, Teachers would want to drink something hot and piping more than ever. But because the temperature is extremely hot, it would not be achievable to keep the heat comparable even in a short period of time, for example, 10 minutes. Our challenge was to create a Cup Insulator, the aim is to deny heat dropping monstrously, and that in 10 minutes, Teachers can still enjoy a hot drink.
Our process to the end product was:
We drew two detailed and precise models, with a clear statement of why our group thinks this design will function the way we fancy it would. We had apprehensive labels, annotations, and particulars on the apparatus we were going to use.
We created a prototype with paper to get a primary visualization of our Insulator, we made it to a very similar and precise size to the mug, also with labels of what the paper will genuinely be for our eventual product.
After we assured everything with our group, we started to make a final product.
For the first two sessions, we processed for our first design alternative, we calculated, pasted, and measured everything sharp and accurately, most essentially, we followed our procedure as planned. (We also added a few particulars to make it visually bulge, a Insulator that customers would purchase in stores). This design was mainly created and designed by @Max Shokatz and we used different materials such as felt, cardboard and paperclips.
For the last session, we processed for our second design alternative, we were unprejudiced and were willing to try out different apparatus such as velcro. We verbalized well with each other, and eventually came out with a end product, with some stupefactions along the way as well(we didn’t use hot glue a lot!). We also measured a lot, and created very efficiently. It was a day of drudgery, but we managed to finish both of our insulators, but didn’t get time to test. (Eventually, in the next Science Class, we tested it out, results were great!). This design was mainly created and designed by me @Thomas Sun and we used materials such as velcro and felt.
In the end, our group compromised with each other and came up with another startling idea, but with reasons behind it. We decided to put two of our Insulators together to cover up more parts of the mug to let the heat of the liquid inside it sustain.
Claim: My claim is that a Cup Insulator must require a lid that can seal and shelter as much of the parts of the cup that will expose the liquid to air.
Evidence: In the first test, we didn’t have a sealable, solid lid, we tested our Insulator, it didn’t have a significant impact of the temperature of the liquid, its heat dropped monstrously(18 degrees). But in the second test, we had a constructed lid, sealing the whole surface of the mug, the. heat managed only to drop 10 degrees.
Reasoning: As days go by, the weather ‘s temperature will decrease, and of course the temperature of the air will also decrease. If you leave hot liquid to air, air will massively affect the temperature of a hot liquid. So having a lid that fully seals your mug is massively important, as our Data and Statistics show.
I’m proud that our Insulator functions, its aesthetics, but principally, I’m proud that our group had effective collaboration, cooperation, communication, fellowship, partnership and solidarity. Had fun working with them!
Some of the limitations our group experienced was the lack of work time, and the lack of materials