For your unit on the 20th Century Totalitarianism (Authoritarian Leaders and Single Party States) you will write:
- Two untimed essays for your manuscript that will go through a full revision process.
- Due dates will be set by the class
- Work will be submitted to Turnitin (pending)
- Optional revisions may be submitted within one week of the paper’s return
- Two quarter exams of two essays (back to back, timed to 90 minutes)
- Due dates will be determined by the class
- The final exam cannot be re-written to improve the grade of the final exam, but WILL be rewritten as an element of your historical manuscript.
AT ANY POINT A STUDENT FINDS HERSELF WITH “NOTHING TO DO” DURING ANY OF OUR SESSIONS, SHE SHE SHOULD BE WORKING ON THE CONTENT OR DESIGN OF HER MANUSCRIPT (OR HER SEMESTER PROJECT)
The subjects for your two manuscript essays are:
- Describe and analyze the rise to power and rule of any one ruler of a single party state.
- Evaluate the role of propaganda in one single party or authoritarian state.
The subjects for your first exam will be drawn from the following:
- Compare the domestic policies of Hitler and Stalin.
- Compare the methods used to maintain rule by Stalin and Hitler. –Consider all implications and provide a framework for analyzing how authoritarian leaders maintain power.
- Compare the treatment of minorities by Hitler and Stalin.
- Compare the successes and failures of Stalin and Hitler.
- Analyze the social and economic policies of Hitler.
- Analyze the social and economic policies of Stalin
- Compare how Stalin and Hitler built institutions of propaganda to attain and maintain power.
- “Neither Stalin nor Hitler would have been able to achieve and maintain their rule without an aggressive foreign policy.” –To what extent do you agree with this statement?
- Compare the means and extent by which Stalin and Hitler co-opted women and children in their states.
- In 1924 Stalin said: ‘the state is an instrument in the hands of the ruling class, used to break the resistance of enemies of that class.” Compare how Stalin and Hitler carried out this belief.
Three of the above prompts will appear on your exam; you will choose two to write on.
The prompts for your second quarter exam will include any one of the Totalitarianism essay prompts and any one of the War prompts from the first semester.