Hello Grade 4!
Your Design Challenge for today is to create a car that travels the quickest/furthest distance possible using balloon power.
- You will work in a team of 3 people. Make a name for your team!
- One person per team is responsible for taking pictures and videos
- One person per team is responsible for sketching the design concepts
- One person per team is responsible for recording all times and distances travelled by your car
- Make a labeled sketch of how you think your car design will look and work
- Your sketch must be approved by your teacher before you begin making your car
- You should update your sketch each time you make a major change to your design
- Use the materials supplied in the basket. You may use other materials available in your classroom (check with your teacher)
- Test your car’s speed and distance on the space marked out in your classroom
- Use the iPad timer and record your times/distances on the sheet provided
- Each team is allowed one visit to either Mr. Jerry, Mr. Geoff or Mr. Sam for technical support
We will learn about problem solving, teamwork, and the design process as well as potential & kinetic energy, friction and resistance, and measurement.
Mr. Sam and Mr. Jerry
Plastic bottle car design:
Cardboard car design: