My finished product came up so much better than I had expected and I’m very interested in looking to sell these to raise money for a charity such as Plastic Oceans whose mission is to raise awareness on the issue of plastic pollution. Single-use plastic is a human addition that is destroying our planet and I want to do everything I can to be a part of making this much-needed change.
To highlight the fact that these combs have been made from 100% recycled plastic, I decided to use my newly develop skills in using the laser cutter, to prepare a tag for each comb. I tied the tag to each comb
From the two successful plastic cakes, I made over 15 individual combs. I chose colours that were quite different from each other with the hope of gathering interest from a wider audience. The green/blue combs, I think, turned out the best as the sheet was flat and allowed to cool overnight. The red coloured sheet wasn’t as flat so I did have some difficulty cutting this and as a result, the combs from this sheet have a slight bend in them.
I have developed a range of skills this week including:
- Using Illustrator to create vector drawings
- Creating plastic sheets from recycled plastics
- Shredding plastics for the purpose of making the plastic sheets
- Using the laser cutter and determining the best speed and power for the materials that I was working with (both plastic and wood)
- Use of the heat gun, electric sander and the scroll saw
Please buy a comb from the PTA store to support Plastic Oceans and increase awareness of an important global issue!