October 8 – Update in Red
Dear Middle School Parents-
I hope you enjoyed a nice National Day holiday!
Today we welcomed several more of our Middle School teachers back to campus, as well as a number of students. By Mid-October we will have about 90% of our teachers on site, and over 95% of our students.
Important MS Notices:
- We have now returned to our normal schedule in the Middle School. 8:15 to 3:25 on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays. 8:15 to 2:25 on Wednesdays.
- After-School Activities: We are starting our after-school sports program this week. Students who want to participate in cross country or soccer simply need to meet in Gym 2 after school on Thursday, October 8. We will have other after-school activities starting up in the coming weeks, with the full ASA program and other activities starting in November. Please see more detailed information at the end of this message, including information about Swim Academy.
- We will still allow students to stay after school in the cafeteria or library this month on Mondays, Tuesday, Thursdays and Fridays. Students should sign up for this in the cafeteria at lunch on the day they plan to stay after school. They should go home at 4:30. In November, we will return to our normal policy of only allowing students to remain after school if they are in a supervised activity.
- UPDATED on October 8 – MS Parent Coffee Middle School parents are invited to the first MS Parent Coffee of the year from 9:00 am to 10:00 am on Monday, October 12. To attend the meeting, please follow this link. You will need either the Microsoft Teams app, Google Chrome, or a Microsoft Internet browser. Please note, we originally hoped to welcome parents to our MS Parent Coffee as an on-campus event in our fountain courtyard. However, there are unresolved logistical and safety concerns that have caused us to reconsider our plan. Therefore, our MS Parent Coffee will now be held as an online event only. We do hope to be able to welcome parents to campus in the near future. Thanks for your understanding.
- Mentoring Conferences – This year, we want to form stronger partnerships with parents. Every MS student has a mentor at school. Mentors want to meet online with the student and a parent once a month, all year. All parents should have already been in contact with their child’s mentor once or twice this year for a quick chat. As parents, this is your opportunity to share your hopes and concerns for your child. Please do respond to mentors as they request these meetings and give them a few minutes each month for this important partnership!
Thank you again for choosing ISB! We love supporting the learning of your children in partnership with you!
ISB Middle School Principal
Activities in the Middle School – Start of 2020-2021 School Year
Note: This school year will look a bit different to past years, but the goal is to offer as close to a normal
activities program as possible! If you have any questions, please contact Mr. Gietz in the Activities Office
Season 1 Sports Teams:
Boys and Girls Cross Country
(Baseball has been moved to Season 4, towards the end of the school year)
These teams are open to all MS grade levels, abilities and genders
Soccer teams practice on Tuesdays and Thursdays, from 3:40-5:30 p.m., and the cross country team
practices from 3:40-4:30 p.m.
First practice day – Thursday, October 8th (all students should meet in Gym 2 at 3:25 p.m. on the first
day; for students who take the school bus, there are buses home after practices at 4:40 and 6:00 p.m.)
The season will finish in mid-November
Boys and Girls Badminton is offered through the ASA program (starts November 2nd; online registration)
– see below
MS Drama – Starts in the week beginning November 2nd and an announcement will come to all MS
students in October when we know more about plans for this year’s ISTA Festival as well as the
possibilities for performances on campus
MS Jazz Band – Mondays – starts on November 2nd (offered through the ASA program, see below –
Clubs generally run for the entire school year and registration is done directly with the adult Club leader.
Watch the MS announcements for more information! MS Clubs this school year:
Model United Nations – Mr. McLean and Mr. Carter – Mondays or Tuesdays
Chess Team – by invitation only – Mr. Mar – details to be confirmed…
ISB Media – Mr. Handy – Mondays – 3301
iHelp – Mrs. Long, Mrs. Follman, Mrs. Fiona Ju – Mondays – 3405
World Scholars Cup – details to be confirmed…
Kidsread – Mrs. Levitt and Mr. Jamieson – Wednesdays at lunch – library
Habitat for Humanity – details to be confirmed…
MS Robotics – Mr. Hamada, Mrs. Tresohlavy – details to be confirmed…
After School Activities (ASA’s):
Two ASA Sessions this school year with two registration periods and different offerings in each Session.
ASA’s meet once per week.
Session 1 Registration (via CHQ ASA Registration link on PowerSchool) – October 12 – 19
Session 1 First Day – November 2
Session 1 Last Day – February 5
Year-long swim program, including practices and meets.
Pool will re-open for after-school programs after the October break:
Returning Academy members will be able to register for the following practice sessions:
Monday – 4:35pm-5:45pm (MS/HS)
Tuesday – 4:35pm-5:45pm (MS/HS)
Wednesday – 3:35pm-5:45pm (MS/HS)
Thursday – 4:35pm-5:45pm (MS/HS)
Friday – 4:35pm-5:45pm (MS/HS)
Students who would like to join the Swim Academy will be able to participate in trials in early
November, with more information to follow. For all swimming questions, please contact Aquatics
Director, Nic Wilson, firstname.lastname@example.org